7 Facts about our OmegaQuant Review
- Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
- Services: A variety of tests mainly measuring omega-3 fatty acids. It also offers Vitamin D and HbA1c tests
- Cost: $40-$100
- How it works: Customers collect a blood sample at home, return it to the lab, and receive results in 2-4 weeks
- Counseling available: No
- How to order: Customers can order tests directly from the OmegaQuant website
- Alternative Products: Nebula Genomics offers 30X Whole Genome Sequencing that decodes 100% of your DNA and gives reports on diet and much more!
This review is written with the intent to be as unbiased as possible. However, it represents the opinion of an individual reviewer and is therefore subjective. Furthermore, at Nebula Genomics we seek to educate the public about the benefits of Whole Genome Sequencing. Information about our Whole Genome Sequencing DNA test is therefore incorporated into the review.
December 19, 2023
Table of contents
- 7 Facts about our OmegaQuant Review
- Pros and Cons
- The Science Behind OmegaQuant
- Review of OmegaQuant Products
- Taking an OmegaQuant Test
- Review of OmegaQuant Cost
- Review of an OmegaQuant Report
- Other OmegaQuant Reviews
- Nebula Genomics
Pros and Cons
- High accuracy with consistent positive reviews across platforms
- Quick turnaround time for results
- Positive customer reviews
- Available internationally
- Simple results of a single or a handful of values
OmegaQuant specializes in the analysis of omega-3 fatty acids. With a foundation rooted in scientific research, OmegaQuant provides individual consumers with valuable insights into their Omega-3 Index, which is used to assess whether someone is receiving the optimal amount of fatty acids and may be used as an indicator of heart disease risk. The Omega-3 Index, expressed as a percentage, is a measure of the amount of EPA and DHA in your blood. The company also launched a vitamin D test in 2020 to compliment its Omega-3 assessments.
Dr. William Harris, a renowned expert in omega-3 fatty acids and inventor of the Omega-3 Index, founded OmegaQuant in 2009. With a career spanning over four decades, Dr. Harris has dedicated his expertise to the study of omega-3s and their impact on wellbeing, specifically heart health. His passion for this field led to the establishment of OmegaQuant, which aims to provide accessible and reliable testing for essential fatty acids.
The company runs an independent, CLIA-certified lab in South Dakota that offers Omega-3 Index, Vitamin D, Prenatal DHA and Mother’s Milk DHA testing to researchers, clinicians and the public. It has recently opened two more labs in Australia (servicing Asia Pacific customers) and Scotland, UK (servicing European customers).
The Science Behind OmegaQuant
The foundation of OmegaQuant’s scientific approach lies in understanding the critical role of omega-3 fatty acids in human health. Omega-3s, primarily found in fish and certain plant oils, have been extensively researched for their potential benefits in supporting heart, brain, eyes, and overall health.
Dr. William has been a pioneering figure in omega-3 research. He co-developed the Omega-3 Index, a biomarker that measures the amount of EPA and DHA (two crucial omega-3 fatty acids) in the red blood cell membranes. This index serves as a reflection of a person’s omega-3 status and has been linked to various health outcomes.
According to OmegaQuant, an Omega-3 Index of 8% or higher is ideal. However, most people have one around 6% or below, with most people in the US at 4% or below.
On its website, the company highlights the health benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids for heart health, pregnancy, longevity, the brain, breastfeeding, joint health, and eye health and describes how its tests can help customers reach the ideal amounts.
OmegaQuant’s tests are grounded in evidence-based science. It uses a simple blood spot test to analyze the levels of omega-3s and other vital nutrients in the body. By assessing these levels, OmegaQuant provides insights into an individual’s nutritional status, helping them understand potential deficiencies and guiding them toward optimal health.
Review of OmegaQuant Products
OmegaQuant offers a diverse range of tests that assess a customer’s fatty acid status by calculating the Omega-3 Index. Customers can perform these tests at home without a blood draw.
There are three options of OmegaQuant’s flagship test, designed to measure the levels of EPA and DHA in the blood, which are crucial omega-3 fatty acids.
- Omega-3 Index Basic: Measures EPA and DHA levels.
- Omega-3 Index Plus: In addition to EPA and DHA, it also measures other omega-3s, omega-6, and trans fat blood levels.
- Omega-3 Index Complete: Offers a comprehensive fatty acid profile, including all the fatty acids in the blood, and reports levels of all 24 fatty acids as well as the Omega-3 index, Ratios, and the Trans Fat Index.
This test determines the level of 25(OH)D in the blood, which is the primary marker for vitamin D status. Vitamin D levels are linked to improved bone health, heart health, immune support, and pregnancy support.
- HbA1c Blood Sugar: Measures the average blood sugar levels over the past three months, providing insights into one’s long-term glucose control.
- Prenatal DHA: Specifically designed for pregnant women, this test measures the DHA level in the blood, which is vital for the baby’s brain development.
- Mother’s Milk DHA: Assesses the DHA levels in breast milk, ensuring that nursing infants receive adequate amounts of this essential nutrient.
- Omega-3 Index for Pets: This test for pets measures the omega-3 status in dogs and cats.
- UMMA B12 Status: Evaluates the methylmalonic acid (UMMA) levels in the blood, which is a marker for vitamin B12 status.
Taking an OmegaQuant Test
The OmegaQuant products use a blood sample to analyze biomarkers related to omega-3 fatty acids, vitamn D, vitamin B12, and blood glucose.
Customers choose the test service from the company’s website. The test kit is delivered within 3-5 days. In most cases, customers perform the sample collection using a few drops of blood. Then, they return it to the lab using a pre-paid return envelope.
The company sends an email when the results are ready, usually within 2-4 weeks. It notes that monitoring is an important aspect of ensuring that diet changes are contributing to improved omega-3 levels and ensuring the levels remain optimal. Therefore, it recommends taking the Omega-3 index tests every four months.
Review of OmegaQuant Cost
The products from OmegaQuant are competitively priced. All costs include laboratory fees.
- Omega-3 Index Basic: $50
- Omega-3 Index Plus: $80
- Omega-3 Index Complete: $100
- Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) Blood Sugar: $40
- Vitamin D: $50
- Prenatal DHA: $50
- Mother’s Milk DHA: $50
- Omega-3 Index for Pets: $50
- Methylmalonic Acid (uMMA) – A B12 Status Marker: $60
Review of an OmegaQuant Report
OmegaQuant reports are easy to interpret.
The first section provides the values recorded from the blood sample. This section is common among all the tests, with values differing depending on the type of analysis. In this case, the report shows the customer’s personalized Omega-3 Index value on a scale of low to desirable range. It is at 6.10%, which is below the desirable range.
This section also contains an explanation of the index or value.
Depending on the test, the results may include full reports. These sections list each item tested, the percentage detected, and the reference range. The remainder of this section describes the different types of fatty acids or other values measureed.
The final section, included in those products that test for fatty acids, provide information on the amount of omega-3’s found in various dietary components to help customers improve their values.
When users submit a blood or milk sample for laboratory testing, they consent to collect and analyze their samples. The results they receive are not a diagnosis and can be influenced by various factors. Importantly, this data transfer doesn’t establish a patient-doctor relationship.
The company collects personal details like names and email addresses and non-personal data such as browsing habits. While the personal data might be used to inform users about OmegaQuant’s offerings, it can also be shared with third parties like technical consultants to enhance the site’s functionality. On the other hand, non-personal data, often aggregated, helps customize user experiences on the site.
If users wish, they can request the removal of their data from the company’s active database.
Other OmegaQuant Reviews
OmegaQuant has a 4.8-star rating on Trustpilot based on over 800 reviews. Users generally praise the company for its quick and accurate results and its easy-to-use testing kits. They also felt the results were useful and easy to follow. The few negative comments focused on technical difficulties and lack of more detailed reports.
The Omega-3 Index Plus Test has a 4.5-star rating on Amazon. Customers appreciate the detailed reports, timely interaction with the company, accurate results, and easy to follow instructions.
OmegaQuant focuses on nutritional health through blood tests, offering reports on biomarkers for Omega-3 and Vitamin D levels. These values can help customers monitor important, specific components of their health, including their risk for heart disease. For a more comprehensive approach, customers may want to also check out genetic sequencing. This analysis can help customers determine genetic predispositions to things that influence the same systems as fatty acids, including heart and brain health.
Nebula Genomics uses saliva-based DNA tests for whole-genome sequencing, covering ancestry and health risks. With 30x Whole-Genome Sequencing, Nebula sequences 100% of your DNA to get to the root cause of every biological inclination. The test is incredibly accurate and includes other additions, including ancestry reporting and genome exploration tools. Regularly updated reports ensure that you will not miss the latest genetic research.
Nebula is not a diagnostic test, but the results are of the highest quality and can be used in consultation with health care professionals.
For only $299 or less, customers will get access to their entire genome, allowing them to continue to ask more questions as more research is conducted.
OmegaQuant vs. Nebula Genomics
|Specializes in blood tests to measure levels of Omega-3s, Vitamin D, and other nutrients in the body
|Offers whole genome sequencing for a comprehensive view of one’s DNA
|Biomarker values and explanation of measurements
|Detailed reports on genetic data, including health risks, ancestry, and personalized insights
|Performs deep ancestry reporting with the complete Y chromosome and mtDNA sequencing
|No, but data is of the highest quality and can be used by physicians and genetic counselors
|$0, $99, $299
Did you like our OmegaQuant review? You can read more reviews on our blog and check out our complete guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests.
You may also want to review these other tests:
- empowerDX (women’s, men’s, heart, mental health, and more)
- Everlywell (wide range of health and wellness tests)
- imaware (at home blood tests for wide range of health conditions)
- InsideTracker (biomarker health tests and optional DNA test)
- LetsGetChecked (wide range of health and wellness tests)
- LifeDNA (nine reports based on SNP analysis)
- MintRx (at-home prescriptions and biomarker testing)
- Personalabs (over 400 lab tests taken at local labs)
- Rightangled (UK based DNA and biomarker testing)
- RxHomeTest (biomarkers and genetic tests)
- Verisana (hormone, gut, and STD tests plus many more)
- BlueChew (at home diagnosis and prescriptions for erectile dysfunction)
- Cove Migraine (telemedicine consults and treatments for migraines)
- Curofit (cholesterol, glucose, and blood pressure monitoring)
- Map My Gene (innate talents for children and disease risks)
- MicroGenDX (advanced technology to identify and diagnose infections)
- MyLab Box (at-home STD testing)
- Nurx (sexual health testing and at-home prescriptions)
- Paloma Health (at-home thyroid testing and consultations)
- STDcheck.com (on-site STD testing and consultation)