Table of Contents
- 7 Facts from our BlueChew Review
- BlueChew Introduction
- About Erectile Dysfunction
- Review of BlueChew
- Review of BlueChew Cost
- Review of BlueChew Privacy
- Other BlueChew Reviews
- BlueChew Pros and Cons
- Nebula Genomics
- BlueChew Review Summary
Edited by Christina Swords, Ph.D.
7 Facts from our BlueChew Review
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Products: Chewable tablets of sildenafil or tadalafil for erectile dysfunction
- How it works: Patients can see a medical provider online and receive prescriptions for one of two erectile dysfunction treatments
- Privacy: HIPAA compliant, but may share aggregate or de-identified information for marketing, advertising, research, and other purposes.
- Cost: Prices range from $20 to $120 per month, dependent on the quantity and dose of BlueChew tablets.
- Reviews: generally very good
- Complementary products: Nebula Genomics (whole-genome DNA test that provides 100% your DNA sequence, giving you insights on conditions and traits related to erectile dysfunction)
This is a review of BlueChew (Blue Chew), a company founded in 2014, that aims to provide a convenient and affordable way for men affected by erectile dysfunction to receive treatment. The service requires no in-person doctor visits or medical tests and instead provides telemedicine services for individuals to receive a diagnosis and prescription from the comfort of their own home. BlueChew provides 2 options for treatment – sildenafil (the generic version of Viagra) and tadalafil (the generic version of Cialis). Currently, the service is available in 45 states.
About Erectile Dysfunction
What is erectile dysfunction? Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a condition in which an individual is unable to achieve or maintain an erection during sexual activity and often causes sexual dissatisfaction due to decreased sexual performance. ED can be either a short-term or a chronic problem and can lead to secondary conditions such as depression and low self-esteem. It is estimated that around 26% of men under 40 have experienced this condition. While nearly 30 million men in the United States are affected by the condition, many find it embarrassing or difficult to discuss the problem with a medical professional. Fortunately, it is possible to treat erectile dysfunction, and the development of ED treatments like Viagra and Cialis have allowed many men to regain their sex life.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Many different factors can contribute to ED. Age is a large determinant of ED, and men are much more likely to develop ED as they age. Individuals affected by diseases that affect the blood flow or the nervous system also have an increased risk. This includes type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, and many others. Likewise, certain medicines such as blood pressure medication and antidepressants have also been shown to cause ED as a side effect.
Lifestyle factors also have the potential to contribute to the development of ED. Individuals who smoke, use illegal drugs, and drink excessively may be at an increased risk. Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle are also risk factors for the condition.
Another major determinant of erectile dysfunction may lie in our genes. Studies have suggested that nearly one-third of an individual’s risk of developing ED is heritable. For example, a 2018 genome-wide association study found that a genetic variant near the SIM1 gene may increase an individual’s risk of developing ED by 26%.
Review of BlueChew
What is BlueChew? This service is designed to combat feelings of embarrassment affected individuals feel about bringing up the issue in a doctor’s office. BlueChew is an online service that lets users obtain a prescription at home and receive treatment right to their door.
How does BlueChew Work?
The process to receive a diagnosis is relatively easy and straight-forward. Individuals first must create an account via the BlueChew login page on BlueChew.com and then answer about a dozen questions related to their medical history. Examples of these questions from the health assessment include current medications, allergies, and heart health. These questionnaires are then sent to a physician, who decides if you are eligible for treatment with BlueChew. Users say that this approval process is usually complete in about 24 hours.
Following approval, users are invited to choose the active plan that works best for them. There are 2 BlueChew pills available – tablets of sildenafil (the active ingredient in Viagra) and tablets in tadalafil (the active ingredient in Cialis). How long does BlueChew last? The website recommends BlueChew sildenafil for individuals looking to use the ED pills on an “as-needed basis” since the ED medication is designed to last around 4-6 hours and can start working in about 30 minutes. On the other hand, the company suggests tadalafil for individuals who want to be able to have sex at any time, since this medication lasts about 24 – 36 hours. Is BlueChew FDA approved? Both sildenafil and tadalafil are FDA-approved medications for ED. However, the tadalafil and sildenafil Bluechew chewables are not FDA approved.
For each medication, BlueChew offers 2 different doses (30 mg and 45mg for sildenafil, 6 mg, and 9 mg for tadalafil). Finally, the company provides a range of tablet counts, from 4 to 34/month, depending on a user’s need.
Is BlueChew safe?
BlueChew side effects vary by medication. Most people experience no side effects or only very minor ones. However, common side effects such as headaches in the case of both medications, can occur in 1 in 100 people.
Once a BlueChew plan is chosen, the company will send the tablets directly to the individual. The shipment generally arrives in a couple of business days and is discreetly packaged. The company also offers free online consultations.
Review of BlueChew Cost
BlueChew is subscription based. Pricing for a prescription with BlueChew is highly dependent on the dose and number of desired tablets per 30 days. BlueChew coupon codes and a BlueChew free trial is also available. The easiest way to take advantage of BlueChew free samples is to visit their website and use the promo code CHEWGIFT at checkout.
Montly Subscription Service
- Active: 6 tablets/month ($20 for 30mg, $30 for 45mg)
- Busy: 10 tablets/month ($30 for 30mg, $40 for 45mg)
- Popular: 17 tablets/month ($50 for 30mg, $65 for 45mg)
- Pro: 34 tablets/month ($90 for 30mg, $120 for 45mg)
- Active: 4 tablets/month ($20 for 6mg, $30 for 9mg)
- Busy: 7 tablets/month ($30 for 6mg, $40 for 9mg)
- Popular: 14 tablets/month ($50 for 6mg, $65 for 9mg)
- Pro: 28 tablets/month ($90 for 6mg, $120 for 9mg)
These rates are relatively reasonable when compared to brand name ED medications, which tend to increase in price each year.
BlueChew is not covered by insurance, including Medicaire.
Review of BlueChew Privacy
BlueChew takes steps to preserve the security of the personally identifiable information in accordance with HIPAA laws. The company only shares this identifiable information with healthcare providers, pharmacies, and other relevant service providers if necessary.
In terms of non-identifiable information, the company reserves the right to share such information with third parties for purposes of advertising, marketing, research, and other uses.
Users of BlueChew have the right to request the company to delete your personal information. While the company says it will take all steps to delete this information if possible, it may retain it if deemed necessary by the law. Further, the company states that deleted information may actually remain in its archives, and will only be deleted from active databases.
For more information, you can read the BlueChew privacy and security policy.
Other BlueChew Reviews
BlueChew Pros and Cons
- Get diagnosed and order medications for treating ED from home
- Prescription arrive by mail each month in discreet packaging
- Range of prices/prescription options
- Generally not covered by health insurance
- The company can sell your non-identifiable information
At Nebula Genomics, we aim to empower individuals to discover more about their genome. By sequencing your whole genome, you can learn more about your risk of ED and conditions related to ED, such as type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. This may help determine if services such as BlueChew may be right for you.
If you have already participated in services such as 23andMe or AncestryDNA, you can upload your DNA data for free and get an expanded DNA report covering information about many traits and conditions. We use a process called imputation to fill in the blanks left by typical DNA tests.
As a customer, you have access to hundreds of traits and curated research studies through the Nebula Research Library. This allows you to stay up-to-date with the most cutting-edge research as it comes out, and what it means about you and your DNA. Further, we provide tools to explore your DNA, and also allow you to download your raw DNA data.
Furthermore, we offer the most affordable 30x Whole-Genome Sequencing service! This genetic test reads 100% of your DNA- over 10,000 times more data compared to tests like 23andMe or AncestryDNA!
BlueChew Review Summary
Is BlueChew legit? BlueChew provides a service allowing men to receive diagnosis and treatment for ED from the comfort of their home. The company provides a number of options to fit an individual’s lifestyle and price range. Other companies such as Hims ($30-520/month, depending on prescription) and Roman ($2-70/dose, depending on prescription) provide similar services and may be worth exploring as well. Overall, BlueChew appears to be well-reviewed and many users appreciate the convenience and affordability.
Here are some other at home testing options:
For gut health:
- Biohm (gut health, including bacteria and fungi)
- Sun Genomics (gut microbiome testing and personalized probiotics for adults, children, and infants)
- Thryve (personalized probiotics)
- Viome (gut health and microbiome testing)
For general health and wellness:
- Everlywell (wide range of health and wellness tests)
- InsideTracker (biomarker health tests and optional DNA test)
- LetsGetChecked (wide range of health and wellness tests)
- Lexapro (prescription antidepressants)
- LifeDNA (nine reports based on SNP analysis)
- MyLab Box (at-home STD testing)
- Zoloft (prescription antidepressants)
Other reviews include:
- CBD oil review – How effective is it for neurological disease?
- Coronavirus tests review – Review of at-home COVID-19 testing [JULY 2020]
- Curology review – A personalized acne treatment subscription?
- Medishare review – Sharing the burdens of healthcare costs?
- Plexaderm review – Can it reduce wrinkles in just 10 minutes?
- Yoga Burn review – Can you lose weight with Yoga?
Did you like our BlueChew review? You can read more reviews on our blog and check out our complete guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests.