7 Facts from our Optavia Review
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- Products: Optavia offers food low in carbs and high in proteins, classified as fuelings and snacks. They are available in kits for specific dietary plans
- Costs: The price will depend on which plan you choose, but an Optavia program goes from $300 to just below $400
- How to Order: You can order the products through the Optavia website
- How it Works: Hire a coach, pick a plan, purchase the meals that come with that plan through a subscription
- Who can take this: Not suitable for teenagers, pregnant women, and nursing mothers. The company does offer dedicated diet plans for teenagers and moms
- Complementary products: Nebula Genomics 30X Whole Genome Sequencing is the safest way to know what ingredients in Optavia fuelings will work for you. Results will vary, and the reasons for those variations are found in your genes
This review is written with the intent to be as unbiased as possible. However, it represents the opinion of an individual reviewer and is therefore subjective. Furthermore, at Nebula Genomics we seek to educate the public about the benefits of Whole Genome Sequencing. Information about our Whole Genome Sequencing DNA test is therefore incorporated into the review.
January 28, 2023
Table of Contents
- 7 Facts from our Optavia Review
- Pros and Cons
- Review of the Science Behind Optavia
- Review of Optavia: Helping people achieve lifelong transformations
- Review of Optavia Privacy
- Optavia in the News
- Other Optavia Reviews
- Nebula Genomics
Edited by Christina Swords, Ph.D.
Pros and Cons
- A vastly experienced company
- Patients lose weight fast
- The meals and snacks are prepared, which makes it easier for users to stay in the program
- There is research proving that the diet program works, albeit Medifast funded such research
- It has a supporting coach program that motivates users to stick to their plans
- This is a very low-calorie diet plan, which tends to leave users hungry or tired
- Not all Optavia foods have a tasty flavor and might deter some from sticking to the plan
- Plans consist of processed foods and pre-packaged foods, which may prompt customers to develop cravings for “normal food”
- Just as fast as weight is lost, it can be regained if falling short of healthy habits
- It can get expensive
- Not suitable for vegans or people with dairy allergies (some people may experience an allergic reaction to ingredients in Optavia)
What is Optavia? Optavia is a weight maintenance plan created by Medifast Inc., consisting of several diet programs to help people lose weight through portion control and still enjoy delicious food.
The company does not market the Optavia diet plan as a miracle program to make you shed pounds instantly but as one that takes time and dedication. In this Optavia review, we will turn to this program with a clinical eye to check how efficient it is at what it says it does.
The vision of Optavia is to create habits of health in small bits. The process that takes time and continues even after shedding pounds. To help users achieve their goals, they offer kits containing a curated selection of healthy snacks and foods. Its offerings are fortified with 24 vitamins and minerals and contain probiotic cultures for healthy digestion.
Interestingly, Medifast Inc., the parent company of Optavia, was fined $3.7 million by the FTC for violating a previous agency order on not making unsupported claims about one of its subsidiary’s weight-loss programs back in 2012. This is not to say that Optavia, formerly Take Shape for Life, engages in dubious practices. There are no recent reports of such behavior or fines for it.
Medifast began in 1980 by William Vitale, a medical doctor. It started as Vitamin Specialties Corp; the name then changed to HealthRite in 1995 until 2001, when it changed to what we know today.
Optavia is one of the five subsidiaries of this corporation. Before July 2017, it was called Take Shape for Life. That same year, Optavia introduced the Optavia Essentials, which coaches sold to clients directly.
Medifast’s headquarters are located in Baltimore, Maryland, and its products sold within the U.S. market. In the first half of 2019, Optavia began expanding its healthy living programs to Hong Kong and Singapore.
Optavia’s offer consists of health products (called fuelings) to lose weight and gain a brighter sense of well-being. It does this through programs or plans.
The website advertises three Optavia plans:
- Optimal Weight – 5&1 Plan: This is like the starting Optavia program where users create a habit of eating six small meals every 2-3 hours. These meals are five fuelings and one Optavia lean and green meal.
- Optimal Weight – 4&2&1 Plan: For users that want to continue eating without restriction. This weight loss plan includes four fuelings, two lean and green meals per day, and one snack.
- Optimal Health – 3&3 Plan: To sustain a healthy lifestyle, you will need three fuelings and three lean and green meals each day.
The first step to being a part of Optavia’s health programs is to find a coach. This support system helps get better results, according to the company. Users of the products that saw changes and want to share them make up the majority of this program. Clients actively using Optavia’s plans and products for a specific time may apply to become a coach and earn some money.
The company recommends participants avoid alcohol, sugary drinks, solid shortening and high-calorie desserts while on the diet.
Review of the Science Behind Optavia
According to claims made by the company, like other low-calorie diets, the Optavia diet includes foods low in carbohydrates. The premise is that fat will then take its place, and the person’s body will start burning it, leaving behind only healthy fats. This fact makes this diet especially effective.
Medifast has research behind it, and doctors, health professionals, and registered dietitians have put together each diet program. A 2016 study done with the 5&1 Optavia meal replacement program concluded that it works well but only when combined with phentermine, an amphetamine drug for weight loss.
To accompany its meal plans, the company provides pre-prepared low-carb meals called “fuelings.” These, along with one or two “Lean and Green” meals, are shipped to your door. Depending on the program you are in, you can also get one or two healthy snacks.
Regardless of the plan you choose, you will be getting six small meals per day. Unfortunately, this amount of food, considered healthy eating, is not enough for many users, causing them to suffer hunger from calorie restrictions, which might counter the effect. When you examine what is in every fueling, it’s no wonder people find it difficult to follow.
Fuelings are relatively small and may include pancakes, shakes, bars, etc. Their average weight is between 32 to 36 grams. For example, the Optavia Essential Orchard Apple & Cinnamon Spiced Oatmeal provides 110 calories and 33 grams. The suggested daily calorie intake is about 2,000 calories.
There is no way to reach that amount with only five fuelings. The 5&1 plan for rapid weight loss provides around 800 and 1,000 calories per day. Optavia’s other plans include the 3&3 plan (3 fuelings plus three lean and green meals) and the 4&2&1 plan (4 fuelings, two lean and green meals, and one snack). Unlike the 5&1 plan, people on this plan may loose weight slowly or maintain their current weight.
Lean & Green Meals
When adding the Optavia Lean and Green recipe meals, users get about 100 grams of cooked lean protein, which, according to some nutritional experts, is insufficient to muscle-spare during weight loss. The Optavia recipes for these meals also include servings of non-starchy vegetables and servings of healthy fats.
The proper intake should be 1.6 g/kg/d (grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day) for dieters. Optavia provides this amount of protein to a person with a weight of 63 kg (139 lb).
Review of Optavia: Helping people achieve lifelong transformations
How does the program work?
Once you have browsed around and decided that you are interested in the potential health benefits offered, the first step is to find a health coach.
You will then be connected to a coach near your location or one you already know. This coach will eventually contact you and start on your program. Coaches are there to motivate and help you follow up with the program; they are not medical advisors and should not give medical advice.
Once you have agreed with your coach on what Optavia weight loss program to follow, they will help you keep up with your Optimal Health journey. The job of a coach essentially entails:
- Guide and encourage
- Provide one-to-one support
- Encourage the client to participate in the Optavia community
- Inform Support about client’s adverse reactions or if they are hospitalized
- Encourage the client to seek professional help when needed
You can access your coach through Optavia Connect using your login information.
Review of Optavia Cost
The required products and kits are not cheap but not crazy expensive either. For example, a monthly supply of fuelings goes between $300 and just above $400, depending on the plan chosen.
The Essential Optimal Kit for the most popular plan (5&1) has a cost of $395.25. The amount of food there accounts for five daily meals. Clients are expected to cook one healthy meal for themselves and their families.
You can also purchase individual menu items, which generally range from $10 to $30.
We discussed above how the Optavia diet restricts carbohydrates and provides a non-sufficient amount of proteins. Users complain about being hungry as this might not be sufficient real food. An extensive DNA test can determine the amount of protein and other nutrients that your body needs to prevent side effects.
Studies on the plan have established that it is effective to make healthy weight loss goals in the short term. However, studies on its effect long term are not conclusive just yet. Besides, it is still unclear if the diet is safe for patients with certain medical conditions. The plan is not recommended for people under 13 years old, pregnant women, or breastfeeding mothers.
Review of Optavia Privacy
The information the Optavia website collects includes your health information, which will be used to better target products depending on your needs. You do not need to register with the company for it to collect certain identifiers once you use the company website.
Per its policy, whatever information it collects from you, either provided by you through registration or your navigation habits, Optavia will not disclose it to third parties. However, the company may disclose information regarding your navigation habits for marketing purposes.
Optavia has a coaching program in which you provide information. This information, which includes your name, contact information, and order history, will be shared with your coach.
Optavia in the News
- Medifast and its OPTAVIA Community Advance Philanthropic Mission, Promote Healthy Habits around the World
- Eat six times a day to lose weight under this program – highlights from a local news station in 2020.
- After Gaining 180 Lbs. in 1 Year, This Woman Lost Half Her Size: ‘My Whole Life Has Changed’ as told in People magazine.
Some celebrities have also had positive reviews of this product:
- Amber Johnston Reveals The Secret To Her Fitness Journey
- Cake Boss Star Buddy Valastro Shares the Real Motivation Behind His 35-Pound Weight Loss
Medifast made some important financial news in 2022, becoming one of the fastest-growing companies. In the third quarter, it reached $390.4 million in revenue.
In November 2022, the independent market research firm Euromonitor named Optavia the #1 Weight Loss Program by revenue for its 2021 earnings.
Other Optavia Reviews
Reviews on Optavia diet plans are mixed, but most tend to be positive. Most Optavia complaints we found were not about the diet program, supplements, or plans but shipping issues and shady practices with monthly renovations. Customer service has also had some complaints.
We found another common complaint: once getting off the plan, customers regained the lost pounds quickly.
Fast weight-loss diets will not work the same for everyone. This is why it can help to know beforehand how effective a program is. Optavia has plenty of positive reviews from users who saw significant changes. Others, however, did not see such changes and were left frustrated.
Optavia recommends that before getting into the dietary plan, consult with a health professional. Before engaging in any healthy diet plan, knowing exactly how your body may respond can be helpful. This information is found in your genes. Nebula Genomics provides the most comprehensive DNA test to guarantee that you will truly know what your needs are. Plus, our Whole Genome Sequencing data is of the highest quality and can be used by physicians and genetic counselors.
Our 30x Whole Genome Sequencing provides the entire sequencing of your genome. This allows you to understand what regimes may work for you and your genetic predisposition to being heavy or thin. Not only is our sequencing complete like no other, but it is also affordable from $0 to $299.
Some supplements also claim to aid weight management:
- Bio X4 (probiotic weight management supplement)
- Contrave (prescription weight loss pills)
- Goli Nutrition (apple cider vinegar gummies)
- Hydroxycut (weight loss supplements)
- Ka’Chava (meal replacement shake)
- Leptitox (supplement to increase leptin and lose weight quickly)
- Lipozene (fiber-based weight loss supplement)
- Resurge (deep sleep supplement to promote weight loss)
- Rootine (personalized supplement and vitamins based on DNA test)
Did you find our Optavia review helpful? You can read more reviews on our blog and check out our complete guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests.