Table of Contents
- 7 Facts from our CRI Genetics Review
- CRI Genetics Introduction
- Review of CRI Genetics Tests
- How to Get Started
- CRI Genetics Reports in Detail
- Review of CRI Genetics Privacy
- CRI Genetics in the News
- CRI Genetics Reviews
- CRI Genetics Pros and Cons
- Nebula Genomics
Edited by Christina Swords, Ph.D.
7 Facts from our CRI Genetics Review
- Location: Santa Monica, CA, USA
- Products: DNA testing with health and ancestry reporting; reporting based on a novel method for calculating ancestry
- Result delivery: results delivered as PDF over email, typically within 6-8 weeks
- Data access: download of raw DNA data is NOT possible
- Privacy: data not deleted per default, users must email the customer service
- Cost: $99-$199 (with a credit card or PayPal)
- Alternatives: Nebula Genomics (Whole Genome Sequencing with weekly updated reports and advanced ancestry analysis)
CRI Genetics Introduction
This is a review of CRI Genetics, a DNA testing company founded in 2016. The founders of CRI Genetics — or Cellular Research Institute Genetics — are Larissa and Alexei Fedorov. Both are professors at the University of Toledo. Alexei received his post-doctoral training under Walter Gilbert, a Harvard professor and Nobel Laureate working on DNA sequencing. The company claims to employ an advanced team of geneticists, anthropologists, and social scientists who have been studying DNA for over 35 years to provide users with an estimation of their ancestry. This company seeks to enlighten users with easy-to-understand DNA ancestry analysis. A phone number to contact the company is available. Read more in our CRI Genetics review!
Review of CRI Genetics Tests
In this section of our CRI Genetics review, we will briefly introduce the genetic tests offered. Much like companies such as Nebula Genomics and 23andMe, it offers ancestry testing and reporting through genetics science. To this end, it uses swab kits to collect DNA samples. Using their founder’s patented DNA analysis algorithm, it provides a variety of different reports.
The primary offering is an Ancestry Report. This bundle of reports has several features:
- Ancestry Timeline Report – This report claims to take users back 50 generations. It tells users where their ancestors used to live, as well as when they lived there.
- Dual BioGeographical Ancestry Reports – A “research-grade accurate estimation of your genetic ancestry, regardless of culture.” This report gives a percentage breakdown of users’ ancestry based on 4 different classifications.
Ancestry + Health ($199)
This company also offers a larger bundle of reports. This expanded DNA reporting bundle includes every ancestral report, as well as several health reports. The following categories of DNA health reporting are included:
- Health – Includes analyses such as “Caffeine Metabolism, Alcohol Flush, and Insulin Resistance.”
- Allergies – Includes analyses such as “Egg, Dog, Peanut, and Grass Allergies.”
- Nutrition – Includes analyses such as “Protein Dieting, Fat Storage, Exercise Weight, and Food Craving.”
- Vitamin – Includes analyses such as “Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Iron Deficiency, and Zinc Deficiency.”
- Traits – Includes analyses such as “Earwax, Asparagus Smell, Red Hair Color, Sun Sensitivity.”
All CRI Genetics products come with an “8-week Efficiency” money-back guarantee. If users do not receive their DNA results within 8 weeks, they get their money back. The 8 weeks begin the day the lab receives the sample.
How to Get Started
In this part of our review, we will tell you how to get started with the company’s DNA testing service. To get started, customers order a testing kit from the company’s website (www.crigenetics.com). Unlike other services such as 23andMe, it does not sell Cri Genetics DNA test kits on Amazon.com.
Users should expect to receive their DNA collection kits within 5 days of purchase. After receiving and registering the CRI kit, users collect their sample using a cheek swab. The registering process is necessary before users mail back the sample collection kit and wait for their results (6 to 8 weeks once received).
CRI Genetics Ancestry and Health reports are sent to users via email. CRI Genetics login on its website is also available. The lab receives your DNA sample provided your DNA passes quality analysis. In the event that they receive your DNA sample and its quality is not sufficient for analysis, it will send a new kit for free.
Note that the company offers an option to upgrade to the Ancestry + Health report after receiving the CRI Genetics results of the Ancestry report. This is possible because the company keeps your genome information file, making it easy to upgrade to its more advanced reporting later on.
CRI Genetics Reports in Detail
Review of CRI Genetics Ancestry Report
This section of our review introduces the ancestry reports. The company boasts a patented algorithm for its “Advance Ancestry Analysis.” Details of the algorithm are cryptic, but CRI says that the 624,000+ genetic markers are “handpicked” by the founder. This report shows users their ancient family history that goes up to 50 generations into the past. These “oldest” ancestries are shown on a map (Figure 1). It tells users where countries now draw their borders around where their ancestors used to live.
In an example report on the CRI Genetics website, the user’s oldest detected ancestors lived in South Asia and Europe. The report also gives a more detailed geographical breakdown by percentage (Figure 2). This breakdown comes with a brief description of each area. For example, Northern Europe “was permanently settled by modern humans for the first time roughly 10,000 years ago.” Users can also learn about Native American ancestry.
This ancestry analysis also includes a haplogroup report. CRI Genetics provides this haplogroup report to paint a more clear picture of users’ male or female lineages. This report includes a different map that shows ancestral migrations.
CRI Genetics also analyses paternal lineage and maternal lineage family lines through mitochondrial DNA and Y-DNA. All users are assigned a maternal haplo group based on mitochondrial DNA analysis. Male users are additionally provided a Y-DNA haplogroup, which is based on markers of the Y chromosome. CRI reports the migration and lineage for this haplogroup as well. The haplogroups come with explanations such as for example that the E1b1a Y-DNA haplogroup “represents the last major direct migration from Africa into Europe”. The reports also tell the users whether they share their haplogroups with any famous people.
Review of CRI Genetics Health Reports
CRI Genetics also offers genome health tests for an extra $100. The site provides several example reports for users to review prior to purchasing the package.
In a “Bitter Taste Report,” users can find out whether they are genetically predisposed to being sensitive to bitter foods. The company claims that this information is useful for dietary reasons because people who are insensitive to bitterness are more likely to eat fatty foods.
CRI Genetics also offers a report of “Drowsiness After Eating.” Several other examples are provided on its website. Users can see example reports for the following:
- Food cravings – based on a genetic variant in a gene that plays a role in fat metabolism
- Insulin resistance – based on a genetic variant in one gene
- Lactose intolerance – based on a genetic variant in one gene
- Long-term weight loss – based on genetic variants in three genes; one of these genes plays a role in insulin resistance
- Triglyceride level – based on polymorphisms in two genes; not a measure of actual triglycerides, but a prediction based on genetic information
Although the company provides genotype information for the relevant SNPs, they do not cite references or links to research that supports their conclusions.
Review of CRI Genetics Privacy
Will CRI Genetics disclose your personal data to third parties? Yes, so long as the third-party meets its security requirements. However, the company claims not to share any identifying information without explicit consent.
Customer support is available over the phone at 1-800-571-9216 or via email at Support@CRIGenetics.com.
CRI Genetics in the News
- Press release about the new patented ancestral analysis
- Scientific American article mentioning CRI Genetics in a list of DNA testing ancestry companies
CRI Genetics Reviews
- CRI Genetics reviews on Reddit.
- CRI Genetics reviews on the Better Business Bureau website.
- CRI Genetics reviews on dnatestingchoice.com.
CRI Genetics Pros and Cons
- Detailed ancestry report.
- Makes a guarantee to deliver your genetic reports in fewer than 8 weeks. Contact customer service for an 8 week efficiency guarantee, in the event of back-order.
- Multiple CRI Genetics reviews questioning the accuracy of CRI ancestry reporting.
- Minimal transparency about analysis and research evidence behind conclusions.
- No automatic or easy deletion of personal genetic information.
- CRI Genetics reviews indicate back-order issues.
Unlike other services, we offer whole genome sequencing (WGS) to provide the most advanced genetic test. WGS lets us provide the most comprehensive reporting, which we update weekly based on the latest research. We finish our CRI Genetics review by comparing it to Nebula Genomics and other DNA testing companies.
Nebula Deep Ancestry
Nebula Genomics offers “Deep Ancestry” reporting – we analyze every nucleotide in your DNA to provide the most complete picture of your ancestry. In collaboration with FamilyTreeDNA (FTDNA) we give our users access to the largest Y-DNA and mtDNA databases.
Do you have DNA test results from other testing sites like Ancestry or 23andMe results? Nebula Genomics lets you upload that data to access our expanded, detailed report based on the latest, curated research in the Nebula Library. And the best part — it’s a free service!
But how can we provide more detailed reports, although we use DNA data from other providers? Our expanded reports use complex statistical models to fill in the blanks left behind by typical DNA genotyping tests. This means that our expanded reports can analyze almost every genetic variant.
Whole Genome Sequencing
For users who want to go beyond typical DNA tests, Nebula Genomics offers 30x Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS). This genetic test analyzes 100% of your DNA. That means you can see 10,000 times more data than with other services that decode less than one percent of your genome!
|23andMe||Ancestry||CRI Genetics||Nebula Genomics|
|Type of Genome Reporting Service||Microarray-based genotyping||Microarray-based genotyping||Microarray-based genotyping||Whole Genome Sequencing (30x coverage)|
|Produced data||~ 600,000 positions in the genome||~ 700,000 positions in the genome||~ 600,000 positions in the genome||~ 3,000,000,000 positions in the genome|
|DNA data download||Can export data and use it elsewhere.||Can export data and use it elsewhere.||No access to raw DNA data||Can export data and use it elsewhere|
|Privacy-focus||No||No||No||Yes (learn more)|
|Regularly updated reports||No||No||No||Yes. Reports are updated every week (Nebula Research Library)|
|Ancestry Reporting||Yes||Yes||Yes||Deep ancestry reporting with full Y chromosome and mtDNA sequencing in collaboration with FTDNA|
|Cost||$99, $199, or $499||$99 or $149||$99-199||$0 – $299|
If you’re interested in ancestry and genealogy services, you may also want to look at:
- 23andMe ($99 for basic ancestry test)
- African Ancestry ($299 per lineage)
- AncestryDNA ($99 for ancestry test)
- DNA Land (free DNA upload for trait and ancestry analysis)
- DNA Painter (first profile is free and subscriptions are available for others)
- GedMatch Genesis (free DNA upload for genetic genealogy and paid advanced options)
- Living DNA (starting at $49)
- MyHeritage ($99 for ancestry test, additional subscriptions for access to genealogy tools)
- WeGene (for Asian ancestry)
If you’re looking for an at home paternity test, you should also read our review of HomeDNA.
If you want to focus on your maternal and/or paternal lineages, you can look at YFull or YSeq, services which analyze mtDNA or the Y chromosome to determine specific lineage haplotypes. Full Genomes also offers Y chromosome sequencing and analysis. You can also check out ethnicity specific kits like African DNA tests.
Did you like our Cri Genetics review? You can read more reviews on our blog and check out our complete guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests.