7 Facts from our Nutrafol Review
- Location: New York City, NY
- Products: Nutrafol Men, Nutrafol Women, and Nutrafol Women’s Balance. About seven different “targeted booster” products to help clients treat hair loss
- Costs: The core hair loss products cost $79 per bottle on the website and $88 per bottle on Amazon, while the targeted boosters cost $10 per bottle on the website
- Reports: After taking the hair wellness quiz, you can choose to get your results sent to your email. You also get a Nutrafol hair mineral analysis report every six months after subscribing
- Privacy: Nutrafol claims to use reasonable methods to protect its client’s data from loss, disclosure, or destruction
- Recommended dose: at least four pills per day
- Complementary Products: Our Nebula Genomics 30X Whole Genome Sequencing is an excellent DNA testing kit offering periodic updates, genome exploration tools, and deep ancestry analysis
This review is written with the intent to be as unbiased as possible. However, it represents the opinion of an individual reviewer and is therefore subjective. Furthermore, at Nebula Genomics we seek to educate the public about the benefits of Whole Genome Sequencing. Information about our Whole Genome Sequencing DNA test is therefore incorporated into the review.
April 27, 2023
Table of Contents
Pros and Cons
- Many users see improvements
- The company offers good checkup services for free
- A clinical study was performed to back up the claims
- The price is quite steep for a hair loss supplement
- It could take an extended period before any result is seen, which means you have to spend a lot
- Some users find its pepper content irritating and prone to cause some Nutrafol side effect
Nutrafol is a result of the desire of three individuals to find medical-grade natural solutions that work for their hair loss and thinning. These individuals were Giorgos Testis, a former model turned entrepreneur, Roland Peralta, and Dr. Sophia Kogan.
After their experiences with thinning hair and trying different products, they came together in 2013 to start Nutraceutical Wellness Incorporation and began to sell Nutrafol supplements. Their mission was for their customers to “be free to grow into the best version of yourself — your hair, your health, your happiness, and your power to help others grow too.”
Nutrafol’s hair growth and scalp coverage supplements are the result of years of research with the group’s board of medical advisors, which consists of top individuals from every field of medicine. With over 50,000 people currently reported to be using the hair growth products, Nutrafol has garnered popular support for being a great solution to treat hair loss and thinning.
It has three core products: Nutrafol Men, Nutrafol Women, and Nutrafol Women’s Balance (for women in the peri- and postmenopausal stage) to help promotes hair growth. Other options include Women’s Vegan, Nutrafol postpartum supplements, and specific formulas for men’s hair thinning, hairlines, and full support.
It also sells seven targeted boosters that help combat other factors Nutrafol believes contribute to each client’s hair loss. These products include Nutrafol Digestive Enzyme (for nutritional deficiencies), Nutrafol Sugar Balance (for metabolism problems), and Vitamin B-Booster (for stress issues).
The core products contain 120 capsules per bottle, while the targeted boosters contain 40. The company also offers customers calls with naturopathic doctors and an in-depth hair mineral analysis after using the product for six months. Customers also have the chance to get referrals to local medical doctors in their locality.
Nutraceutical Wellness Inc. also has its formula patented (known as the Synergen Complex), which contains natural ingredients like tocotrienol complex, Sensoril® Ashwagandha, saw palmetto, and marine collagen peptides. Apart from being patented, it has been endorsed by prestigious salons, popular dermatologists, and plastic surgeons and marketed as 100% drug free. However, is this product any different from the myriad of hair supplements in the consumer market?
Review of Nutrafol Science: A Whole-Body Treatment Approach to Hair Loss
Simply put, Nutrafol believes in a whole-body approach to treating hair loss. It does this by targeting multiple key imbalances in the body. Unlike most other hair growth supplements, Nutrafol considers that numerous root causes lead to hair thinning. The Nutrafol test accounts for five of these causes: stress, hormones, nutrition, metabolism, and environment.
The website comprehensively explains how each factor affects hair quality, the signs it shows, and the ingredients in Nutrafol used to tackle it. For example, the company believes an androgen hormone known as dihydrotestosterone (formed by an AR5 enzyme, which converts testosterone to DHT) causes hormonal imbalance problems that contribute to hair loss. This hormone affects the natural hair growth cycle by causing the hair follicle to shrink and completely close, preventing hair regrowth (a process known as miniaturization).
The sign shown in men for increased production of this hormone is a receding hairline or thinning at the crown. For women, it ranges from a receding hairline to acne, unwanted facial hair growth, and irregular periods.
Nutrafol works by using the Saw Palmetto ingredient to lower the production of this hormone in both men and women. This is exactly how it has structured each factor it believes leads to healthier hair.
Nutrafol vitamins and minerals, such as biotin, are also important components of this product. This vitamin metabolizes fatty acids and amino acids. High biotin levels can lead to stronger, fuller hair.
However, Nutrafol’s scientific beliefs haven’t gone without their share of criticisms. In 2016, a competitor to Nutraceutical Wellness Inc. (Lifes2Good) lodged a complaint that many of Nutrafol’s claims were not backed by science (there was no lawsuit). This led to an investigation by the Electronic Retailing Self-Regulation Program (ESRP), which certified some of its claims.
This investigation also led to Nutraceutical Wellness Inc. conducting its own clinical trial to advance the field of hair science, which, although sponsored by the company, has been published in a peer-reviewed journal. This research had 40 women aged 21-65 test the product in a randomized, double-blinded, and placebo-controlled study. The study lasted for six months, and at the end, 80% of the women said that their hair growth had improved, with many of them growing both baby hairs and terminal hairs.
Nutrafol admits that its statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in a disclaimer at the bottom of the website. Here, it states, “the product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.” It does claim that the product has been clinically proven to help hair loss, based on its clinical trial.
Although company’s involvement in the study leaves its credibility in the air for many to debate, the product remains one of the best-selling hair growth supplements available.
The goal of these products is to produce visibly more thickness to scalp and hair coverage. It may even help customers avoid other options like hair transplants.
How to purchase a product
You can get Nutrafol products either from the website or from Amazon. However, it is more advisable to get it from the website. This is because you get to take the hair wellness quiz, which asks you questions relating to the five factors. Then, using your results, Nutrafol will determine the two targeted boosters to add to your hair growth plan.
The test only takes about 3-5 minutes, and you can have your results to be mailed. After taking the test, Nutrafol usually prescribes the core product (Men, Women, or Women’s Balance) and the two optimal boosters determined by your results. It also encourages you to learn more by providing a one-on-one call with a naturopathic doctor and a hair mineral analysis after six months of using the product to track your hair growth progress.
Nutrafol Cost Review
A common complaint of Nutrafol is the high price of the product. On the website, the core product costs $79 (each containing 120 pills), while the two targeted boosters cost $20 (each containing 30 pills). This adds up to $99 per month as each bottle will last a month if you take the suggested dosage (4 daily for the core products and one daily for the targeted boosters). Only the core products are available on Amazon, with one bottle costing $88.
You can only get the targeted boosters after taking the quiz.
Nutrafol Privacy Review
Nutrafol also mentions the use of reasonable methods to safeguard the data clients submit on the website. However, it does not warrant the security of the data, as it does not believe any electronic data transmission or storage is 100% secure.
Other Nutrafol Reviews
The product has over 3,000 reviews on Amazon with a star rating of 4.3. Although the overall rating is good, ratings by feature are generally 3 to 4 stars, citing the price as the reason behind the reluctance to award it a higher rating. A particular client considers they could make the pack less bulky to cut the product’s price. However unsatisfied with the price, most customers report that the product works and helps them reduce hair shedding and increase hair growth.
Does Nutrafol work? Even though there are many success stories regarding the product’s effectiveness, there are some critical ones too. For example, some people have reported not seeing new hair growth or super thicker hair. However, most make this claim after only one or two months, which is a relatively short timeframe to get results from a hair supplement.
But if you look at the price, there might be a good reason for these customers to stop buying the product. As with any supplement, it is a good idea to talk with your doctor before starting a new regimen.
Nutrafol in the News
- Nutrafol Awarded Groundbreaking Patent For its Synergen Complex™
- Nutrafol Pioneers Hair Wellness Industry with New Study that Reveals it Safely and Effectively Improves Hair Growth in Menopausal Women
- Nutrafol Introduces A New Brand Identity And Launches The First Personalized Hair GrowthPlan® for Men And Women
- Nutrafol launched in Sephora in January 2023
|Dosage||4 pills daily||2 pills daily|
|Price||$79 per 1 month supply||$78 per 3-month supply|
|Clinical studies||Yes||Only the ingredients, not the product itself|
|How quickly does it work?||~3-4 weeks||~3-4 weeks|
Hair shedding isn’t an experience anyone likes to have. So, besides using hair supplements, another way to know more about your hair-thinning tendencies is to take a DNA test. These results can show you if your hair loss is a hereditary issue or due to a genetic medical condition. Using this information, you can better learn how to tackle hair loss or understand your predisposition to thin hair in the future.
Most DNA tests, such as AncestryDNA and 23andMe, only read 0.02% of your genome. At Nebula Genomics, our Whole Genome Sequencing reads 100% of your DNA.
Whole Genome Sequencing decodes all 6.4 billion DNA base pairs in the human genome. This includes the complete set of all 20,000 genes, mitochondrial DNA, and the Y chromosome. Therefore, we provide highly comprehensive and accurate genetic test results for everything from diseases to hair loss.
You can also explore the Nebula Research Library to stay up to date with the most cutting-edge genomic research. The Research Library is updated periodically, allowing you to continuously examine your DNA results.
You may also be interested in other products that support healthy hair growth:
- Capillus (laser filled caps to stimulate hair follicles)
- HAIRLOVE (vitamin infused hair care)
- Keeps (prescription strength hair loss treatment)
- Rahua (plant-based hair and body products)
- Tricovit (four-step product line for healthy hair)
- Vegamour (plant-based hair care products)
- Viviscal (supplements for hair growth and thickening)
You can also check out our reviews of other products to help you look younger:
- AgelessRx (prescription anti-aging products)
- Arbonne (a catalog of aging well products)
- Curology (personalized acne treatment)
- Plexaderm (reduces wrinkles for short-term effect)
- PotentLift (variety of products for skin health and anti-aging)
- SeroVital (reduces signs of aging)
- Xtend Life (supplements, skincare, and superfoods for anti-aging)
- Zion Health (clay-based skin products)
Or you can check out these other companies that support aging well:
- Elysium Health (supplements designed to slow down aging)
- Neuriva (supplement to improve brain function)
- Nugenix (testosterone booster)
- Prevagen (a supplement designed to improve memory)
- Relief Factor (supplement to reduce pain)
- TeloYears (uses telomere length to assess biological age)
- Test Boost Max (testosterone booster)
- Tru Niagen (supplements designed to slow down aging)
Did you find our Nutrafol review helpful? You can read more reviews on our blog and check out our complete guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests.