Table of contents
- 7 Facts from our Plexaderm Review
- Plexaderm Introduction
- Aging, Genetics, and Skincare
- Plexaderm Review
- Other Plexaderm Reviews
- The Plexaderm Review Verdict: A Temporary Fix?
- Review of Plexaderm Pros and Cons
- Nebula Genomics: Make Informed Decisions for Your Skin
- Summary of Plexaderm Review
- Read More About Skin Health
Edited by Christina Swords, Ph.D.
7 Facts from our Plexaderm Review
- Plexaderm Location: Farmingdale, NY
- Products: The most popular product is the Plexaderm Rapid Reduction Serum. However, the company offers a range of cleansers and moisturizers for all skin types.
- How it works: The Plexaderm Rapid Reduction Serum temporarily tightens the skin to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Privacy: There are no privacy concerns when purchasing Plexaderm. All orders are one-time payments and are carried out through a secure website.
- Cost: A 6-day trial pack for Plexaderm Rapid Reconstruction Serum can be purchased for $14.95. Alternately, users can purchase a 30-day bottle for $119.90, or a three month supply for $359.70. Other products from Plexaderm cost between $12.95 and $39.95 per unit.
- Reviews: Customer reviews are generally negative.
- Complementary Products: Nebula Genomics offers 30x Whole Genome Sequencing which analyzes 100% of your DNA, and provides reports on many traits including skin health.
This is a review of Plexaderm skin care products. Distributed by Sheer Science and True Earth Health Products, Plexaderm Skincare offers a line of products to revitalize aging skin to make it look many years younger. Their key product, Rapid Reduction Serum, claims to reduce fine lines, crows feet, wrinkles, and makes eye bags smooth in just 10 minutes after application. The serum works by tightening the user’s skin and smoothening the visible crevices for a couple of hours after application. Plexaderm operates out of New York and is headed by CEO Jonathan Greenhut. Customers can purchase products from plexaderm.com. Plexaderm from Walmart and Plexaderm on Amzon are also available.
Aging, Genetics, and Skincare
Before we review Plexaderm, let’s take a look at the science behind it.
As the largest organ in the human body, our skin plays an important role in protecting us from harmful environmental agents. Serving as a barrier between our internal body and outdoor stressors, our skin shields us from pollutants, UV light, and microbes. Skin can be an indicator of both internal health and underlying illnesses.
Skin is the most visible portion of the human body, and also the most visible sign of aging. Unsurprisingly, many are looking to increase their skin health, in addition to improving the appearance of their skin.
What Happens to Our Skin When We Age?
As we age, we are bound to see some changes in our skin. The most obvious changes include wrinkles, changes in pigmentation, and loosening of skin. However, underneath these visible changes, there are a number of internal and external factors that contribute to aging.
On an internal level, there are genetic predispositions and underlying conditions that affect the speed of aging. On an external level, there are environmental factors such as exposure to pollution and UV light.
With the onslaught of stressors, the skin’s ability to deal with damage declines. This is amplified by environmental and genetic factors.
Why is Healthy Skin Important?
The skin is made of the epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous tissue. The epidermis is rich in keratinocytes, which compose the outermost protective layer of the skin.
Each layer of the skin serves an important function.
The epidermis is the outermost protective barrier. It protects us against pathogens and helps us absorb vitamin D. On the other hand, the dermis is important for structural strength and flexibility. It also needed to transport nutrients between the epidermis and the bottom-most subcutaneous layer. Lastly, the subcutaneous layer connects the dermis to underlying structures and provides insulation, energy storage, and padding.
As the structure and integrity of the skin is compromised, these important functions also deteriorate.
The Genetics of Aging Skin
The type and speed of skin aging can vary from person to person.
A very useful way to understand the level of the genetic contribution to skin aging is to study the differences in twins. Twin studies have previously shown that 62% of the variation in skin aging was due to genetics. In another study, 61% of the level of eyebrow-sagging was due to genetics.
The characteristics of skin aging also tend to differ between populations. The level of wrinkling, dark spots, and sagging is highly variable depending on geography and ethnic background.
How Does the Rapid Reduction Serum Work?
What is Plexaderm? While Plexaderm does offer a variety of creams and lotions, their main product is the Rapid Reduction Serum Plus. The product works to reduce under-eye bags (puffiness in the skin under the eyes), and smooth wrinkles and lines. Users are meant to apply a small amount of the serum on any given area. They must remain expressionless for a few minutes while it dries. When applying the product, customers should be sure to avoid contact with eyes.
How long does Plexaderm last? Once the serum dries, it tightens up the skin to give a more youthful look. These results are said to last for ten hours.
How much is Plexaderm? There are numerous payment plans to buy Plexaderm Rapid Reduction Serum. All plans include free shipping and handling. Customers who want to sample the product can buy a six application Plexaderm trial pack for $14.95. Alternately, users can purchase a 30-day bottle for $119.90, or a three month supply for $359.70. This puts the cost of daily use to be just under $4. If unhappy with the purchase, customers are covered by a 30 money back guarantee.
Lastly, if customers are dissatisfied with the product, they can return it within 30 days. Customer service is available at 1-800-681-0366 or by emailing CustomerCare@SheerScience.com.
Review of Plexaderm Ingredients
The Rapid Reduction Serum Plus has a relatively short ingredient list, consisting of the following:
- Water (Aqua)
- Sodium Silicate: It is a pH adjuster and buffering agent that is used to make detergents. It is used in a number of “anti-wrinkle” and anti-aging skincare products. As it dries on the skin, there is a mild contraction, causing the skin to appear tauter. Some studies show that it can be an eye irritant (avoid applying it to the eye area).
- Magnesium Aluminum Silicate: It is a mineral extracted from clay, and is typically used as a thickening agent. It has been shown to be a minor eye irritant in rabbits but is safe in cosmetic products.
- Cellulose Gum: It is a thickening agent derived from plants.
- Acetyl Hexapeptide-8: It is a synthetic, anti-wrinkling agent. It works by decreasing facial muscle contractions.
- Yellow 5 (CI 19140) and Red 40 (CI 16035): Coloring agents.
- Phenoxyethanol: It is a preservative used in a number of cosmetic products.
- Ethylhexylglycerin: It is a preservative with antimicrobial properties.
- Hydrolyzed rice protein: A substance rich in amino acids.
- Shale clay: Minerals that tighten your skin.
Together, the ingredients in the Plexaderm Rapid Reduction Serum Plus create a temporary fix for bags under your eyes and wrinkles. While some ingredients have been shown to have potential side effects in animal models, they are safe for human cosmetic use.
The original Plexaderm rapid reduction serum includes the same ingredients as the Plus version but and also includes the additional ingredients propylene glycol, soluble collagen, xantham gum, and titanium dioxide.
Review of Plexaderm Clinical Study
Does Plexaderm work? To test the effectiveness of their rapid reduction cream, Plexaderm conducted a clinical study consisting of 43 participants. The company used a VISIA Complexion Analysis to measure skin quality before and after using the serum. Eye Bags and wrinkles were said to be reduced by 80.6% and 81.1% respectively. Similarly, facial pores were reduced by 74.9%.
The study also employed a questionnaire to gauge customer satisfaction. 100% of the 43 participants reported that their wrinkles, eyebags, dark circles, and pores were less noticeable.
The conclusion of the study was that the Rapid Reduction Serum “provides clear and definitive results that can be seen 10 minutes after its application.”
Review of Other Plexaderm Products
In addition to their bestselling Rapid Reduction Serum, Plexaderm has a number of other cosmetic creams and products. Listed below are their current selection of commodities:
- Reset and Replenish Pads: These cleansing pads work to remove dirt, makeup, and oil from the skin. They cost $29.95 to purchase a container of 50 pads.
- Plex Perfect Daily Moisturizer: This moisturizer was made to be used with the Plexaderm Rapid Reduction Serum. Each jar can be purchased for $39.95.
- Dark Spot Fade Gel: This gel treats hyperpigmentation and dark spots. It is made with hydroquinone and costs $24.95 per bottle
- Hyaluronic Moisturizer: This product is made of pure hyaluronic acid, which is meant to boost hydration. It works best with the Rapid Reduction Serum and sells for $29.95 per bottle.
- Peppermint Exfoliating Cleanser: This daily use cleanser is meant to suit all skin types, and costs $12.95 per tube.
- Night-Time Collagen Serum: This night-time serum contains soluble collagen and is supposed to boost collagen levels in the skin. The serum can be purchased for $34.95 per tube.
Other Plexaderm Reviews
- Amazon Reviews for Plexaderm Rapid Reduction Cream Plus: 2.8/5 (977 reviews). The majority of reviews are negative and do not recommend this product. Many customers complained that this was only a temporary fix, while others reported that the serum left behind a white film. Reviews also indicate that you cannot apply makeup when using Plexaderm. There are not many positive reviews for this product.
- Trustpilot Plexaderm Reviews: 2/5 (99 reviews)
- Reviews.io Plexaderm Review: 4.69/5
- An Honest Plexaderm Review: Worth Trying Or Not?: 2.1/10. This is an independent review written by Thomas Stevenson on Right Health according to which Plexaderm is a waste of money. Here, Stevenson states, “Is Plexaderm worth it? The short answer is no… there are better eye creams on the market offering superior value for money. A preventative approach to skin aging involves leading a healthy lifestyle and avoiding sun damage.”
- Plexaderm Review by Health Insiders: Plexaderm was reviewed here by Sheila Barbarino (MD, FAAO, FAACs, FACS). The average customer reviews were 2/5.
- Plexaderm Review 2020 by The Derm Review
The Plexaderm Review Verdict: A Temporary Fix?
After evaluating the products, ingredients, and customer reviews, it seems that Plexaderm may be temporarily effective. However, it is not a long term solution for those looking to increase their skin quality and health. Plexaderm works by temporarily contracting and tightening the skin, and may often leave a white film after application.
Review of Plexaderm Pros and Cons
|– Plexaderm works very fast and shows results in 10 minutes.|
– The product may temporarily reduce wrinkles and lines for some consumers.
|– This is not a long term solution to healthy skin aging.|
– For many customers, results are temporary.
– Plexaderm doesn’t actually increase skin health, but only gives the appearance of skin health.
– Customers complain of a white residue that’s left behind after application.
– Plexaderm does not address the root cause of skin aging.
– Most customer reviews are negative.
Nebula Genomics: Make Informed Decisions for Your Skin
As we identified before, there are numerous genetic factors that contribute to skin aging. Consequently, there is no “one size fits all” approach when it comes to lasting skin health. Skin-types are unique to each individual, and knowing your genetic background can help you make an informed decision for your skin.
There is a lot of trial and error involved with picking the perfect skincare product. Over time, these costs can add up. With our new 30x Whole Genome Sequencing service, you can sequence 100% of your genome. This includes lifetime access to our genome exploration tools and a collection of research studies that are updated every week.
There are a lot of benefits to knowing more about your genome. When it comes to the largest organ in your body, skin health goes far beyond appearance. With your data in your hands, you can make the decisions that work best for you.
Summary of Plexaderm Review
Let’s summarize our Plexaderm review.
While the Plexaderm Rapid Reduction Serum provides a temporary fix for wrinkles, it is not a long-term solution. Based on customer reviews, this product works for some people, but may not be for everyone. It is advised that customers start with a trial pack.
Skincare is more than just appearance. As an alternative, you can learn more about your skin with our 30x Whole Genome Sequencing service.
Read More About Skin Health
- The genetics of acne (Nvarini, 2019)
- The genetics of melanoma (Barrett, 2011)
- The genetics of atopic dermatitis (Paternoster, 2015)
- The genetics of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (Sarin, 2020)
And you might be interested in these companies that support aging well:
- Arbonne (a catalog of aging well products)
- Capillus (laser filled caps to stimulate hair follicles)
- Elysium Health (supplements designed to slow down aging)
- Keeps (prescription strength hair loss treatment)
- Neuriva (supplement to improve brain function)
- Nugenix (testosterone booster)
- Nutrafol (supplements for hair growth and thickening)
- Prevagen (a supplement designed to improve memory)
- Relief Factor (supplement to reduce pain)
- SeroVital (reduces signs of aging)
- TeloYears (uses telomere length to assess biological age)
- Test Boost Max (testosterone booster)
- Tru Niagen (supplements designed to slow down aging)
- Vegamour (plant-based hair care products)
- Viviscal (supplements for hair growth and thickening)
Some alternatives products to Plexaderm that you might want to consider are Hyaluronic Acid Serum for Face by Yeouth, SkinCeuticals C + AHA, or Curology. What’s also important to reduce wrinkles is getting enough sleep. Here is a nice list of sheets for adjustable beds.
Plus, Pathway Genomics also offers a clinic grade DNA test specifically for skin information!
Did you like our Plexaderm review? You can read more reviews on our blog and check out our complete guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests.