Table of Contents
- 7 Facts from our Tru Niagen Review
- Tru Niagen Introduction
- The Science behind NAD Anti-aging Supplements
- Reviews of Tru Niagen
- Review of Tru Niagen Costs (Updated April 2021)
- Legal Battle with Elysium Health
- Other Tru Niagen Reviews (Updated April 2021)
- Reviews of Tru Niagen Pros and Cons
- Nebula Genomics
7 Facts from our Tru Niagen Review
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Products: NAD supplements for anti-aging purposes
- Ordering: Can be ordered from TruNiagen.com or Amazon.com
- Privacy: Share personal information for purposes such as providing services and marketing
- Cost: $30 – $50 per month
- Reviews: Good – Really good
- Complementary products: Nebula Genomics (DNA test that decodes 100% of DNA and provides the ability to explore genetic markers for longevity)
Tru Niagen Introduction
Here, we review Tru Niagen, an NAD (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) supplement. Its parent company, ChromaDex, is a dietary supplement and food ingredient company that specializes in anti-aging products. In 2012, ChromaDex licensed its key ingredient nicotinamide riboside (NR), an NAD precursor. They brought it to the market as Niagen nicotinamide riboside. Customers can purchase this product under the name Tru Niagen.
This product is designed to increase nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) levels. Tru Niagen ingredients include nicotinamide riboside chloride, which the body converts to NAD when ingested.
ChromaDex was founded in 1999 in part by Frank L. Jaksch Jr., who currently serves as a member of the board of directors. In 2004, Dr. Charles Brenner discovered the active Tru Niagen ingredient NR, a unique form of vitamin B3, while he was a faculty member at Dartmouth College. Dr. Brenner is now the Roy J. Carver Chair and Head of Biochemistry at the University of Iowa, founding co-director of the University of Iowa Obesity Initiative, and chief scientific advisor for Chromadex.
The ChromaDex company broadly provides services for reference standards, ingredient development, and consulting. Scientists at ChromaDex partner with universities and research institutions worldwide to perform scientific studies on NAD and to identify and develop novel, science-based ingredients.
Tru Niagen is Chromadex’s flagship NAD boosting product using its NR ingredient. The company’s scientific advisory board hosts many renowned scientists, including 2 Nobel laureates.
|Before taking supplements like Tru Niagen, you should learn more about your genetics! Our Whole Genome Sequencing decodes 100% of your DNA and identities all aging-associated genetic markers. Click here to learn more!|
The Science behind NAD Anti-aging Supplements
Before we review Tru Niagen products, let’s review the science behind them.
NAD is a key molecule in the cellular production of energy that has been studied for over 100 years. NAD participates in metabolic pathways that contribute to things like sleeping, breathing, and eating and it plays a major role in other important processes such as DNA and cellular repair. Low levels of NAD are associated with increased risk of heart disease, elevated blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and accelerated aging.
NAD levels decline with age, with some studies showing a 50% decrease between the ages of 40 and 60. The company claims that replenishing NAD can increase energy in living cells as people age and reduce the physiological effects of aging.
Clinical studies funded by ChromaDex show that NR supplements safely and effectively increase individuals’ NAD in the bloodstream after 6-8 weeks. Tru Niagen specifically claims that individuals taking 300 mg per day of the supplement for eight weeks increased NAD by 40-50%. However, researchers have no published human studies with evidence that NR improves human health or reduces aging.
Recently, some scientists have worried that increasing NAD may increase cancer risk since some studies have shown that reducing the NAD producing enzyme kills cancer cells. However, a link between increased NAD and cancer risk has not been shown. Dr. Brunie H. Felding, a renowned Breast Cancer Researcher focused on NAD+ supplementation, serves on Tru Niagen’s scientific advisory board.
Healthy aging relies on both genetic and lifestyle factors. Before purchasing an anti-aging product, customers may benefit from understanding how their genes may affect their natural aging. Additionally, individuals can often mediate biological aging by eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, and minimizing stress, which is also partially based on genetics.
Reviews of Tru Niagen
What is Tru Niagen? This product is an anti-aging supplement that boosts the NAD, a molecule important for cellular energy metabolism. ChromaDex, the parent company, claims that Tru Niagen benefits customers who want to age their best, whether its through moderate activity or intense exercise. However, these statements have not been evaluated scientifically. Although the effectiveness of this supplement is not proven, clinical trials are ongoing.
Review of Tru Niagen Products
Customers can purchase either capsules or portable stick packs.
The capsules contain NR, which boosts the amount of NAD in the body. Capsules can be purchased in either 1-month, 3-month, or 6-month increments. The company recommends customers take a single 300 mg capsule a day with or without food.
The company also offers 150 mg capsules that are made for flexibility. Capsules can be taken either separately or together at any time of the day. They do not need to be taken with food. This dosage is only available as a 2 month supply.
Portable stick packs are individual packs that combine NR with fiber. Customers mix one packet daily into 16 ounces of a cold beverage. The portable sticks can be purchased on Amazon.com in packs of 30.
Review of Tru Niagen Costs (Updated April 2021)
Generally, customers can save money by ordering multiple months in one payment. Auto shipments further lower the price by up to 26%.
300 mg capsules
- 1 month: One-time purchase $47 or auto-shipments $40
- 3 months: One-time purchase $119.95 or auto-shipments $105
- 6 months: One-time purchase $229.95 or auto-shipments $198
150 mg capsules
- 2 months: One-time purchase $87.95 or auto-shipments $79
- Portable stickpacks: $54/30 days or auto-shipments $49.95
Customers may be able to save money with TruNiagen promo codes offered periodically.
Legal Battle with Elysium Health
Elysium Health is a direct competitor to Tru Niagen as both companies use the same form of NR in their supplement products. As of August 2020, the companies are fighting a law suit over rights to NAD supply, specifically the NR compound.
Elysium Health was founded in 2014 and for a few years they licensed the NR compound for their “Basis” product. In 2016, the relationship disintegrated. It started with a claim by Chromadex that Elysium did not pay its bill for a large amount of deeply discounted NR product. When Elysium Health did not produce a payment, Chromadex revoked the license and began litigation.
Chromadex argues that the NR patent is held by the Trustees of Dartmouth College and is licensed exclusively to ChromaDex. However, Elysium Health has continued to use NR. In September 2018, Chromadex and Dartmouth college filed suit against Elysium alleging patent infringement. Legal proceedings are ongoing, with a pretrial hearing scheduled for December 17th, 2020, and a human clinical trial start date scheduled for September 27th, 2021.
The company will use personal data to perform their obligations as a company, pursue their legitimate interests, or those of a third party, such as marketing, or perform other actions to which the customer gives their consent. The company has the right to use, transfer, sell, and share aggregated, anonymous data that does not contain any personal data. Examples of such use include analyzing usage trends and seeking compatible sponsors.
Other Tru Niagen Reviews (Updated April 2021)
As interest and research in NAD supplements increases, there is a similar trend in consumer consumption of these products. As such, there are a number of NAD Tru Niagen reviews 2019 – 2021.
- Innerbody Research Tru Niagen reviews (4 out of 5 stars)
- Tru Niagen Amazon reviews (4.6 out of 5 stars)
- Healthirony Tru Niagen reviews (4.7 out of 5 stars)
Tru Niagen reviews (Reddit) suggest positive results after a few weeks. Although many customers are still looking for personal experiences taking it long term. Additional Chromadex Tru Niagen reviews are available on the comapny’s product page. Here, customers rate it as 4.5 out of 5.
Reviews of Tru Niagen Pros and Cons
- A large number of studies suggest that Tru Niagen increases NAD
- May help people feel more energetic and able to complete daily tasks
- Evaluated by the food and drug administration and determined to be safe at recommended doses
- A scientific advisory board that includes two Nobel Prize winners
- Effectiveness in anti-aging has not been scientifically proven
- Not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
- Make take several weeks or months to see results
- Raising NAD levels are only maintained with consistent use
We finish out Tru Niagen review, by taking a look at Nebula Genomics.
At Nebula Genomics, our goal is to empower you to discover more about your genome including your genetic markers for longevity. Furthermore, by understanding how your genome influences things like health and fitness, you can gain insight into how well you may be able to control aging naturally before purchasing a supplement like Tru Niagen.
Nebula Genomics offers the most comprehensive genetic testing using Whole Genome Sequencing to decode 100% of your DNA.
You can examine genes of interest, identify relevant mutations, and search for genetic variants. You can even view your sequencing data from your own computer. Results also include data access, weekly reports, ancestry analysis, and exploration tools. For example, we report on genetic predisposition to longevity based on the latest research studies.
Tru Niagen contains NR, which is clinically proven as an NAD booster in the body. NAD is an important chemical for cellular health and cellular energy production. As we age, NAD levels decrease both because our body makes less of it and because more energy is needed to combat new metabolic stress. Such a reduction tends to decrease quality of life.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has safety reviewed NR and established it as safe in the doses prescribed by Tru Niagen. Patients do not report serious Tru Niagen side effects. Therefore, there appears to be no harm in taking this supplement and may have great anti-aging benefits.
Anecdotal reviews suggest that a number of customers experience higher energy levels after taking Tru Niagen for a few weeks. However, scientists have not yet proved that increased NAD stops or reverses aging or has any other health benefits. Chromadex is currently funding clinical trials to link increasing NAD levels with positive physiological outcomes.
Overall, it may be beneficial to take a supplement like Tru Niagen to increase energy. However, other lifestyle choices, especially those influenced by genetics, may also affect the aging process. Taking a DNA test like the one offered by Nebula Genomics can give customers a broader view of their health before they try Tru Niagen or make decisions about taking supplements.
Another anti-aging supplement company you may be interested in is Elysium Health (starting at $40 per month).
Other reviews include Curology (personalized skincare), Nugenix (testosterone booster), Plexaderm (skin anti-aging), Test Boost Max, Yoga Burn (weight loss) and Medishare, which may be able to help with emergency health bills through cost sharing ministry.
For at home lab testing and health products, you should check out:
- Arbonne (a catalog of aging well products)
- Bio X4 (probiotic weight management supplement)
- BlueChew (at home diagnosis and prescriptions for erectile dysfunction)
- Capillus (laser filled caps to stimulate hair follicles)
- Everlywell (wide range of health and wellness tests)
- Goli Nutrition (apple cider vinegar gummies)
- Hydroxycut (weight loss supplements)
- Keeps (prescription strength hair loss treatment)
- Leptitox (supplement to increase leptin and induce quick weight loss)
- LetsGetChecked (wide range of health and wellness tests)
- Lipozene (fiber based weight loss supplement)
- MyLab Box (at-home STD testing)
- Neuriva (supplement to improve brain function)
- Nutrafol (supplements for hair growth and thickening)
- Prevagen (a supplement designed to improve memory)
- Relief Factor (supplement to reduce pain)
- Resurge (deep sleep supplement for weight loss)
- SeroVital (reduces signs of aging)
- Vegamour (plant-based hair care products)
- Viviscal (supplements for hair growth and thickening)
For gut health, you may be interested in:
- Biohm (gut health, including bacteria and fungi)
- Sun Genomics (gut microbiome testing and personalized probiotics for adults, children, and infants)
- Thryve (personalized probiotics)
- Viome (gut health and microbiome testing)
Did you like our Tru Niagen review? You can read more reviews on our blog and check out our complete guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests.
In particular, you might be interested in these articles: