7 Facts from our myDNA Review
- Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Products: Personalized fitness, diet, and medication plans based on your DNA
- Cost: $79-$198. myDNA also has a premium membership subscription that gives you access to personalized fitness and diet recommendations.
- Reports: Ready in 10-15 days after the lab receives them. Medications go directly to a doctor’s office, while the company’s app can access wellness testing results and recommendations
- How it works: The company mails the myDNA testing kit to you when you place the order. Fill in your details and take the cheek swab. When you are done, you send the kit back and wait for the results
- Raw Data Access: no raw data access
- Alternative Products: Nebula 30x Whole Genome Sequencing decodes all the information on your genome. Nebula reads more than six million positions on your genome to give you reliable results that can provide medical consultations.
This review is written with the intent to be as unbiased as possible. However, it represents the opinion of an individual reviewer and is therefore subjective. Furthermore, at Nebula Genomics we seek to educate the public about the benefits of Whole Genome Sequencing. Information about our Whole Genome Sequencing DNA test is therefore incorporated into the review.
November 30, 2023
Table of contents
- 7 Facts from our myDNA Review
- Pros and Cons
- Review of myDNA Medication Products
- Review of myDNA Personalized Wellness Kit
- Taking a myDNA Genetics Test
- Review of myDNA Cost
- Review of myDNA Reports
- Review of myDNA Privacy
- Other myDNA Reviews
- Nebula Genomics
Edited by Christina Swords, PhD
Pros and Cons
- The process of sample collection is straightforward, requiring only a cheek swab
- One-month free premium membership to personalized wellness recommendations when you purchase a test kit
- Diet recommendations include recipes and meal serving sizes
- The medication test kit is not avialable in all countries of the world
- Test results will take a long time to ship outside Australia, as customers must ship the test kit back to Australia for testing
Les Sheffield, the first clinical geneticist in Australia, founded myDNA due to his passion for simplifying the process and eliminating the need for guesswork when prescribing medications. myDNA’s first product was the personalized medications test, which enabled physicians to make accurate prescriptions with the help of a simple at-home cheek swab. Genetic information enabled physicians to make better decisions on the drugs to recommend to patients.
The company’s clinical team has invested millions of dollars into interpreting thousands of peer-reviewed scientific research on genetics and advanced healthcare to unlock the power of DNA. This scientific evidence has enabled myDNA to achieve an accuracy of 99.9% in their tests. The company carries out the tests in NATA-certified (National Association of Testing Authorities) laboratories to ensure that it gives only the most accurate results. Then, it uses the results from the myDNA test to develop personalized meal and workout plans.
The company claims their experts have over 120 years of combined experience.
Review of myDNA Medication Products
Due to various regional regulations, myDNA pharmacogenetic packages are only available in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. They are not offered in the United States or the United Kingdom.
Personalized Medication (Multiple Categories)
This test gives you recommendations based on the drugs offered by myDNA. The report includes predictions of your body’s responses to certain medications. It also helps shed light on how your body will process them. Your results give your doctor recommendations on treating you.
Personalized Mental Health Medications
This test helps you determine what side effects you may experience when you use a certain medication. This helps you choose medicines based on which one will have the least serious side effects. It also helps give you foresight on how your body treats a medication, allowing you to choose a drug that will provide you with maximum efficiency.
All these are based on the results of your DNA testing, so you can be sure you are getting the most personalized reports. This kit includes different categories including, antidepressants, ADHD, and antipsychotics.
Personalized Pain Medications
This test helps you understand how your body reacts to pain medications. The report includes the side effects your body may exhibit and how it processes these medications. This enables your physician to choose the right drugs for you.
The company generates these reports based on the results of your DNA test. The information includes recommendations on antiinflammatory pain drugs and opioids.
Personalized Gastrointestinal Medications
The gastrointestinal medications test kit helps your physician choose the right medication for you. With this test, your physician no longer needs to generalize and prescribe medicine for your gastrointestinal problems based on gut feeling alone. The test allows your physician to select a prescription with the least serious side effects and the highest efficiency. myDNA uses its understanding of genetics to compile a report on your body’s reaction to different medications.
Personalized Cardiovascular Medications
This genetic test helps you reduce the risk of side effects when taking medications for cardiovascular conditions. Your genes play an important role in how your body handles drugs, and it is therefore important that you understand the relationship between your genetics and your medication. This is to help your physician make tailor-made medication decisions for you.
It should be noted that myDNA send all of the medication test reports directly to your physician.
Review of myDNA Personalized Wellness Kit
The personalized health and wellness test is available in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Indonesia.
This test is extremely comprehensive and gives you more than 14 insights into your well-being with plans on how to lose weight and understand the secrets to healthy habits. This product will also give you 30 days of free access to the myDNA premium membership plan. The membership plan includes meal recommendations with recipes and workout plans customized to suit your DNA and help you reach your weight management goals.
You get insights and plans into how your body responds to foods, exercise, fat storage, appetite, caffeine metabolism, and many more. All of the insights and personalized plans are sent to your myDNA smartphone app, which enables you to monitor your progress on the go.
Taking a myDNA Genetics Test
Taking the myDNA genetics test is very simple. Once you order and receive the test kit, you fill out the label provided. Next, you navigate to the myDNA website to input the barcode number for your test kit along with all your details. Once you finish this, take a swab of your inner cheek and return the test kit to the company in the pre-paid envelope.
Review of myDNA Cost
The patient must cover the cost of a myDNA test kit. myDNA is, however, partnered with Afterpay to allow patients to pay for their test kits in installments.
Each test kit costs $99, while the kit for multiple categories for the personalized medication kit costs $149. The Personalized Wellness test kit includes Nutrition, Fitness, Caffeine & B Vitamins, as well as a 30-day free premium membership. Customers can unlock additional insights through premium memberships.
Customers can pay the subscription plan for the personalized wellness app, which gives additional DNA-based health and fitness recommendations, monthly or quarterly. The monthly subscription costs $12.95 per month, while the quarterly subscription costs $23.85 per 3 months, equivalent to $7.95 monthly.
Review of myDNA Reports
Due to Therapeutic Goods Association (TGA) regulations, your report for a myDNA medications test is sent to your physician, who then makes it available to you. On the other hand, the results of your myDNA wellness analysis are sent directly to you. You can also access them via the myDNA mobile app. You also get your meal and fitness recommendations via the app.
The meal plans are tailored for you based on the results of your genetic makeup as well as other factors like your age, gender, and desire to lose or maintain weight. Besides meal recommendations, the app also gives you access to recipes, and you can even generate a shopping list.
The fitness plans are also based on your DNA test results, fitness level, and fitness goals. You have access to a workout routine that includes video information on how each workout should be done.
Other DNA insights found in the wellness report include:
- Caffeine metabolism
- B vitamins
- Heart health
- Bone health
Review of myDNA Privacy
myDNA claims to keep your test samples and data private and secure. You are also able to request that they be destroyed at any point in time. myDNA claims that none of your reports are shared without your consent.
The analysis and compilation of results are also done anonymously and, therefore, they cannot be linked to you. myDNA gives you control over how your data is managed.
This means you can choose with whom your data can be shared outside of the myDNA service. myDNA claims not to sell or share your data with any public service. It also claims that it will not share your data with any law enforcement agents unless compelled by a court subpoena or warrant.
Other myDNA Reviews
myDNA has over 150 reviews on Trustpilot and an overall score of 3.3 stars. Most of the myDNA reviews on Trustpilot are excellent.
One of the good reviews describes the product as a “Very insightful app that allows you to focus your food and training plans to deliver quicker results based on your genetics. [This] Results in less hit-and-miss experimentation with your food and fitness, instead ensuring the time you spend making a difference and not wasting time.”
However, some negative reviews state that they did not receive the test kit even after waiting several weeks and making several complaints and that the service did not provide new information. Other complaints note that the results are only available in an app and that this platform has not been working
Nebula Genomics conducts the most advanced whole genome sequencing tests to read 100% of your DNA. This, combined with Nebula’s huge research library resources, helps you get more detailed reports than other DNA testing companies that only decode 0.02% of the genome. Nebula was founded by a professor of genetics at both Harvard and MIT with the vision of making whole-genome sequencing available at a price everyone could afford.
Nebula provides customers with regularly updated reports on the results of their DNA tests. Unlike other genetic companies with individual test kits for different diseases, Nebula Genomics offers all the information that can be derived from your genes in one package. This package also includes information on your ancestry. This means that Nebula whole genome testing is the only one you will ever need to do.
Nebula gives customers access to their raw data. Our service can be used to gain additional insight into DNA based on the most recent genetic discoveries. Nebula also has a research library with curated information on the latest research on human genetics. This can help shed more light on how genetics relates to you.
We also provide tools with which you can explore your DNA. The gene analysis tool helps you identify mutations and gene variations that pique your interest. You can use the variant search tool to examine your genome and explore any variant you are interested in, especially as new research reveals new insights. The genome browser tool gives you access to your full sequencing data.
myDNA vs. Nebula Genomics
|DNA testing method
|99% accurate open-array technology
|Whole Genome Sequencing (30x coverage)
|Deep ancestry reporting with full Y chromosome and mtDNA sequencing
|Raw DNA download
|Yes (FASTQ, BAM, and VCF files)
|Compatible with other services
|A report provided at the end of testing along with wellness recommendations via the myDNA mobile app
|Weekly genetic reports based on the latest research and data (learn more)
Did you find our myDNA review helpful? You can read more reviews on our blog and check out our complete guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests.
You might also be interested in these other companies that offer precision medication products:
- 4U Health (allergies, sensitivities, pharmacogenetics, and drug tests)
- ClarityX DNA (pharmacogenetics for mental health and other conditions)
- Color (risks of cancer, genetic forms of heart disease, and medication responses)
- GeneSight (clinical genomic test for psychotropics)
- GeneTrait Laboratories (pharmacogenetics for a variety of health conditions)
- Genomind (pharmacogenomic testing for mental health treatment)
- Inagene (pharmacogenetic testing for mental health and other conditions)
- Incite Health (pharmacogenetics for mental health treatments)
- Myriad Genetics (diagnostics, reproductive tests, and precision medicine tests)
- Patients Choice Direct (evaluates 35 genes for over 180 medications)
Or you can find health and fitness tests at:
- 24Genetics (various tests for health, ancestry, sports, skin, pharmacogenomics, WES, and WGS)
- Athletigen (free upload and basic report; additional tests and reports available at an additional cost)
- DNAFit (in partnership with CircleDNA)
- dnaPower (health and wellness DNA testing for diet, exercise, brain health, and more)
- Dynamic DNA Labs (at-home tests for health, ancestry, skin, personality, and more)
- GenePlanet (European testing company for lifestyle, ancestry, and health)
- Genomelink (fitness information)
- Genopalate (data upload and DNA testing kit)
- Genovate (relationship, health, fitness, and ancestry tests)
- HealthCodes DNA (personalized plans for wellness, nutrition, and fitness)
- MiaDNA (health, wellness, traits, and fitness for adults and children)
- Beyond Body (Perfect Body DNA) (personalized diet book)
- Promethease (health information)
- Sequencing.com (fitness app purchased separately)
- Toolbox Genomics (various DNA, epigenetics, and health tests)
- Vitagene (diet and health)
- Xcode Life (fitness and health report)