This review is written with the intent to be as unbiased as possible. However, it represents the opinion of an individual reviewer and is therefore subjective. Furthermore, at Nebula Genomics we seek to educate the public about the benefits of Whole Genome Sequencing. Information about our Whole Genome Sequencing DNA test is therefore incorporated into the review.
October 6, 2021
Table of contents
- 7 Facts from our Myriad Genetics Review
- Myriad Introduction
- Review of Myriad Genetics Products
- Review of Myriad Genetics Reports
- Genetic Counseling
- Review of Myriad Genetics Cost
- Review of Myriad Genetics Privacy
- Myriad Genetics in the News
- Other Myriad Genetics Reviews
- Pros and Cons
- Nebula Genomics
Edited by Christina Swords, Ph.D.
7 Facts from our Myriad Genetics Review
- Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- Products: targeted gene panels, full exome, and whole-genome sequencing
- Reports: diagnostic tests, reproductive tests, precision medicine tests
- Result delivery: two to three weeks
- Cost: $0-$4000+
- Privacy: data not deleted by default, users need to email customer service
- Complimentary Products: Nebula Genomics (whole genome sequencing that can be used in consultation with a genetic counselor or medical provider)
Myriad Genetics is a diagnostics corporation that includes several clinical genetics companies. The molecular diagnostic company is based in Salt Lake City, UT. The services offered range from prenatal testing to psychotropic gene-drug screening. Because Myriad is a clinical genomics company, it offers FDA-approved molecular diagnostic testing. For Myriad Genetics, insurance can provide some coverage. Without coverage, costs can be significantly higher than CLIA-lab alternatives.
Myriad Genetics is a molecular diagnostics company that offers clinical genetic testing to promote medical management. This genetic testing company was founded in 1991 by scientists from the University of Utah, and Utah is still the home of its headquarters. Mark Capone is the current head of upper management.
Recently, Myriad Genetics acquired Counsyl and Assurex Health. These business acquisitions expanded the the Myriad genetic testing capabilities to include reproductive tests and more precision medicine tests, respectively. In addition, Myriad also offers genetic testing for psychotropic drug interactions.
Review of Myriad Genetics Products
This company offers several types of DNA tests. Some are diagnostic tests while others focus on reproductive screening and precision medicine.
Review of Myriad Genetics diagnostic tests
Myriad Genetics offers diagnostic genetic testing for cancers that are inherited and thus it may be useful for people with a family history of cancer. Genetic tests can be done with either a saliva sample or a blood draw.
According to the company, insurance can cover up to 90% of the Myriad Genetic testing cost. In most cases, Myriad offers financial assistance to reduce out-of-pocket costs for qualified underinsured patients in the U.S. to no more than $295.
The tests offered included:
- BRACAnalysis: This genetic test identifies mutations in the genes BRCA1 and BRCA2. These human genes increase the risk of developing hereditary cancers, including genes associated with breast and ovarian cancers in women.
- Colaris: This genetic test identifies mutations in a panel of six genes. Mutations in five of the six genes can be used to diagnose a person with Lynch syndrome. This disease increases a person’s risk of developing several types of cancers, including colorectal and uterine cancer.
- Myriad myRisk Hereditary Cancer Test: This genetic test identifies mutations in 35 genes correlated with an increased risk for developing hereditary cancers. The eight types of hereditary cancers tested for are breast, ovarian, prostate, colorectal, pancreatic, gastric, skin, and uterine cancers.
Interested in genetic testing for hereditary cancer? You may be interested in these posts:
- Colon Cancer Genetic Testing
- Pancreatic Cancer Genetic Testing
- Genetic Testing for Breast Cancer
- Genetic Testing For Prostate Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer Genetic Testing
- Lung Cancer Genetic Testing
- Genetic Testing for Thyroid Cancer
The company provides directions for how to collect a saliva sample. Then, customers send their sample to Myriad genetic laboratories. Once Myriad receives the sample, it analyzes the results and provide a report.
Reports describe mutations found as positive, elevated, negative, or a variant of unknown significance.
Women may also choose to receive another report called a riskScore. The riskScore combines a testing panel validated by medical societies with a hereditary cancer quiz. This provides a prediction of five-year and lifetime risk for breast cancer.
This genetic test may be covered by health insurance. According to the company, three out of four people pay $0 for testing.
Review of Myriad Genetics reproductive tests
The company also offers genetic testing before and during pregnancy. These Myriad genetic testing pregnancy options include:
- Foresight Carrier Risk Screen: This genetic test identifies a couple’s risk of passing on an inherited condition to their child. Couples can use this test before or during pregnancy. The test covers more than 175 inherited conditions that are clinically significant.
- Prequel Prenatal Screen: This prenatal screening can be done as early as ten weeks into pregnancy. This test uses cell-free DNA obtained from a sample of the mother’s blood which can be used to check if the fetus has an abnormal number of chromosomes.
Some chromosome conditions include Trisomy 21 and Trisomy 18, which cause Down syndrome and Edwards syndrome, respectively. This test can also look for abnormal numbers of sex chromosomes or deletions in chromosomes.
The company offers a financial assistance program and interest-free payment plan options.
Review of Myriad Genetics precision medicine tests
Myriad offers a couple of products designed to help individuals and their doctors use genetic information to inform treatment options. These tests include:
GeneSight Psychotropic Test ($330): This genetic test looks for mutations in genes that may affect how an individual responds to medications for treating mental illnesses. This test is based on research established by Assurex Health, which Myriad acquired in 2016 and renamed Myriad Neuroscience. The test is now offered through this division.
Medicare and Medicaid cover the cost for this test, and most private insurers cover part of the costs. According to the company, most patients will pay less than $330.
myChoice CDX ($4040): This genetic test looks for mutations, insertions, deletions, and large chromosomal rearrangements in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. The test uses samples from the person’s tumor.
This test reports a genomic instability score, which can indicate how an individual might respond to cancer treatments. People with a poor score may benefit from other targeted therapies. This product is approved by the FDA. Without insurance coverage, the test costs over $4000.
Review of Myriad Genetics Reports
The company’s diagnostic tests provide results that include a genetic testing status and medical recommendations.
Review of Myriad Genetics diagnostic testing reports
The first section of the report provides a summary of the mutations identified from the genetic test. The report then describes the significance of any mutations found. This includes information about whether the gene mutation increases a person’s risk for developing disease.
The bottom of the report includes additional information listing all the genes analyzed.
If an individual receives a positive test result, their healthcare provider will receive additional information regarding clinical management guidelines and recommendations for patient care.
Myriad Genetics lets people know if its test has identified any mutations, even if they are not associated with increased cancer risk. These mutations are known as variants of uncertain clinical significance. These are still viewed as negative results.
If the genetic test did not identify any mutations, the report will indicate a negative test result.
Review of Myriad Genetics reproductive testing reports
The Foresight Carrier Screening test can help couples determine if their child would be at risk for an inherited condition. If both partners choose to be tested, the company provides a combined report.
A positive test result indicates that a couple would have a high risk of passing on an inherited disorder to their child. The rest of the report provides information about the disorder. This includes information about treatment.
If no mutations are found, the report will indicate the results were negative.
Review of Myriad Genetics precision medicine reports
The GeneSight test reports whether a person’s genetics could affect their response to certain medications. The test results include information about medication for anxiety, depression, and other psychiatric illnesses. The report classifies medications into three categories indicating how they should be used.
Genetic counselors can help people interpret their results from genetic testing. Myriad Genetics offers genetic consults from their team of licensed, board-certified genetic counselors. This benefit is included with the Foresight prenatal screening.
Other companies that offer genetic counseling include Genome Medical, a nationwide virtual counseling business.
Review of Myriad Genetics Cost
These tests can cost up to $4000. However, the company claims that 97% of private health insurance companies cover its testing. The company also offers a financial assistance program. This program may cap expenses at $295 for individuals who qualify.
Review of Myriad Genetics Privacy
Myriad Genetics says that it takes the privacy of its patients’ genetic information seriously. The company shares a person’s genetic information with their medical provider and anyone else they allow access.
The company also says that it does not sell or give away genetic information to third parties. It also responsibly contributes genetic data to the PROMPT registry. This is an online genetic registry that researchers use to study the genetics of cancer risk.
It will provide your information to authorities in the case of national security or law enforcement requirements when the request has been made correctly.
Myriad Genetics in the News
The company has attracted some criticism regarding the costs of its genetic testing:
- STATNews: Pioneer of BRCA cancer gene testing slams rivals with overblown claims
- NYTimes Opinion: The Outrageous Cost of a Gene Test
- Press Release: Myriad Genetics Announces Publication of a Prospective Clinical Study of the EndoPredict® Test in Women with Early-Stage Breast Cancer
- Financial News: Myriad Genetics’ Test Better Predicts Drug Levels Per Study
The company was also criticized for filing patents on the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes, resulting in a Myriad Genetics lawsuit.
However, a court decision from the United States Supreme Court in 2013 ruled against the legality of patents on human genes. Their main conclusion was that since the discovery of a human gene does not involve being created, there was no intellectual property involved and thus no grounds for a patent. Subsequently Myriad announced to give up its attempts to patent breast cancer genes.
Other Myriad Genetics Reviews
Because this is a diagnostic company ordered through a doctor’s office and not available online, there are limited public reviews. Yelp reviewers give the company only 1 out of 5 stars. The most common complaints claim slow processing times and trouble billing insurance.
Myriad is considered a good company to work with, with most reviewers on Glassdoor ranking it as having good company culture and great benefits. Working at Myriad tends to be a pretty good experience. Many reviewers are from lab technicians who worked at Myriad Genetics.
Pros and Cons
- More than 25 years of experience in the field of genetic testing for hereditary cancers
- Insurance may cover some of the testing costs
- Genetic counseling available
- More expensive than other genetic tests on the market
- Less transparency about up-front costs associated with testing
- Can’t upload genomic data from other providers
We conclude our Myriad Genetics review with a comparison with Nebula Genomics and other DNA testing companies.
Nebula Genomics offers the most affordable 30x Whole-Genome Sequencing service that provides information about your entire genome. Most of the products offered by Myriad Genetics and other clinical genetic testing companies cost much more. These other genetic testing companies also provide less detail about your genetic information. Although not a clinical test, the sequencing data Nebula Genomics provides can be used by healthcare providers and genetic counselors.
|23andMe||Ancestry||Myriad Genetics||Nebula Genomics|
|DNA testing method||Microarray-based genotyping||Microarray-based genotyping||Targeted gene panels (myRisk), Whole genome sequencing (Prequel)||30x Whole Genome Sequencing|
|Regular updates based on the latest discoveries||No||No||No||Yes (learn more)|
|Tools to explore data||Yes||Yes||myRisk management tool (for medical providers)||Yes|
|Ancestry reporting||Yes||Yes||No||Deep ancestry reporting with full Y chromosome and mtDNA sequencing|
|Data access||Yes||Yes||No||Yes, including FASTQ, BAM and VCF files|
|Cost||$99 or $199||$99 or $119||$0-4000+ (depending on insurance)||$0, $99, $299|
|Clinical Diagnostics||No||No||Yes||No, but the data is of the highest quality and can be used by physicians and genetic counselors|
Other clinical genomic companies you might be interested in include the Myriad Genetics competitors.
Diagnostics and disease risk:
- Ambry Genetics (risks of various disease types)
- Color (risks of cancer, genetic forms of heart disease, and medication responses)
- Fulgent Genetics (comprehensive diagnostic company)
- GeneDx (wide variety of clinical genomic tests)
- Map My Gene (innate talents for children and disease risks)
- myDNA (personalized fitness, diet, and medication plans)
- Oral DNA Labs (specialized diagnostic tool for oral health)
- Parsley Health (holistic medicine and health plans)
- Pathway Genomics (DNA tests for various health aspects, may be used in consultation with medical providers)
Includes carrier status:
- Integrated Genetics (pre- and post-pregnancy tests)
- Invitae (diagnostics, proactive health, and reproductive health)
- Sema4 (oncology, women’s health, carrier screening, and hereditary cancer)
- Veritas Genetics (disease risks and carrier screenings)
- GeneSight (clinical genomic test for psychotropics)
- Genomind (pharmacogenomic testing for mental health treatment)
Tumor genetics for personalized treatment:
- Decipher Biosciences (tumor genetics for urologic cancers)
- Foundation Medicine (genetic analysis on solid tumors)
- Natera (circulating DNA for hereditary cancer and other diagnoses)
- Tempus (oncology, mental health, and infectious disease treatment)
Other companies that offer whole exome sequencing are:
Learn more about whole exome sequencing!
Did you like our Myriad Genetics Review? More reviews can be found on our blog and check out our complete guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests.