7 Facts from our Viviscal Review
- Recommended dose: Two pills with food and water every day
- Active ingredients: Proprietary AminoMar C™ marine complex, fish oil, vitamins, and zinc
- Costs: $40 per month with a 3-month subscription
- Products: With a 3-monthsubscription, users can choose between The Essentials Collection for $119 and The Cleanse + Fortify Collection for $45
- How to Order: Through the website and stores. Discounted prices and a 90-day money-back guarantee are only available through the website
- Who the product is intended for: Men and women losing hair volume
- Complementary products: Nebula Genomics offers 30X Whole Genome Sequencing to help you better understand your predisposition to any of the ingredients found in this product’s formula
This review is written with the intent to be as unbiased as possible. However, it represents the opinion of an individual reviewer and is therefore subjective. Furthermore, at Nebula Genomics we seek to educate the public about the benefits of Whole Genome Sequencing. Information about our Whole Genome Sequencing DNA test is therefore incorporated into the review.
September 16, 2023
Table of Contents
- 7 Facts from our Viviscal Review
- Pros and Cons
- The Science Behind Viviscal
- Review of Viviscal: Advanced Hair Health
- Review of Viviscal Privacy
- Viviscal in the News
- Other Viviscal Reviews
- Nebula Genomics
Edited by Christina Swords, Ph.D.
Pros and Cons
- It is available as Viviscal for men and Viviscal for women
- It is formulated with natural ingredients proven to help hair growth
- External clinical studies have demonstrated its efficacy
- Simple to use as you only require two pills a day
- The treatment works for all types of hair
- Generally safe, but may result in side effects (nausea and skeletal stiffness) or allergic reactions (fish or shellfish)
- It may be expensive for some consumers
- Although most of the ingredients are natural, it has some additives and artificial color and flavoring
Viviscal claims its supplement helps create naturally growing thick hair. In this review, we will cover everything there is to know about the product, including side effects, pros, and cons. This is a two-part hair care program that includes several different Viviscal products:
- Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements
- Gorgeous Growth Densifying Viviscal Shampoo/Conditioner
- Thickening Serum
Our review will focus on the hair growth supplement since that is the core product. Plus, it is the main supplement to better prevent hair shedding and help new hair grow.
Healthier hair will make you look younger and more vibrant. This sense of well-being is something that Viviscal has sought to provide its customers for 30 years. To help achieve this, it created a scientifically formulated hair growth product that includes drug-free components and a proprietary mix (an AminoMar Marine complex) that produces in an exclusive combination of vital nutrients.
It should be noted that these statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are therefore not FDA approved. However, the ingredients have been clinically proven to promote existing hair growth. The product is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.
According to the company, most users notice a change in the thickness and amount of hair within 3-6 months. The product is backed up by 25+ years of continuous research that proves the hair supplement’s effectiveness.
The Company started in 1990, and has become one of the most important hair-growth supplements in the United States. Its headquarters are located in Dublin, Ireland, and its parent company is Church & Dwight Company, which acquired it in 2017 for around €150 million. Today, this product is sold in almost 50 countries.
Even the most extensive clinical trials will not always produce the same results. Despite having a proprietary blend and other nutrients with proven efficacy to help nourish thinning hair and promote growth, the product will not always work on everyone in the same way.
At Nebula Genomics, we can help you establish if this product will work effectively for you. This is done through an extensive DNA test.
The Science Behind Viviscal
These products provide nutrients that enrich the hair follicles, resulting in faster and thicker hair growth. All ingredients are natural. The formula includes an exclusive AminoMar C™ marine complex, the key component of Viviscal hair growth supplements.
A Scandinavian professor discovered the formula while studying the Inuits in the 1980s. He noted their particularly healthy hair and skin. After realizing that this was due to their fish and protein-rich diet, he isolated the key protein molecules to create what is now known as AminoMar™.
This blend of AminoMar™ with other nutrients, such as biotin, Vitamin C, and Zinc, nourishes the hair follicles, strengthens them, and promotes terminal hair growth, making hair thicker and more robust.
Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients found in Viviscal.
The following is a detailed view of the ingredients found in Viviscal Hair Growth Supplement Tablets.
- Shark Cartilage & Mollusk Powder (AminoMarTM): These are the ingredients that the Scandinavian professor isolated from the Inuits’ diet. They are rich in proteins and designed to help thicken hair and promote existing hair growth.
- Fish Oil: Omega-3 fatty acids deliver nutrients to the scalp, nourishing the hair follicles. As a result, hair becomes thicker and more affluent. This ingredient gives the pill a fishy taste.
- Silica: a balance for over-fluctuating hormones. It acts directly on calcium and magnesium levels.
- Biotin: A vitamin that promotes the thickening and growth of hair, giving it a healthy appearance.
- Niacin: Vitamin B3 has been largely known for improving blood circulation to the scalp and hair follicles. It also has an important role in turning carbs into energy and maintaining the structure of blood cells.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is rich in antioxidants and promotes collagen production to produce healthier hair.
- Zinc: Clears the path for hair growth by minimizing dandruff. Zinc also balances hormones and is thought to prevent protein deterioration.
Review of Viviscal: Advanced Hair Health
The components in this product have been shown to improve hair health. Although the product does appear to help reduce hair loss and promote growth, it is not a magic pill that will make your hair look rich and voluminous overnight.
How to use the product
The recommended dose is two Viviscal pills per day, one in the morning and one at night with food and water. Viviscal advises patients to use the product for at least six months to get significant results.
Some users report positive signs at around three months. Few report not seeing any difference whatsoever. Overall, it takes some patience before seeing a difference in hair volume. Once a goal for healthy hair growth has been achieved, these daily supplements should be taken long-term for the scalp to stay healthy and rich.
Review of Viviscal Cost
Viviscal is available in major stores nationwide and through the website. It comes in boxes with 60 tablets. The 3-month delivery option has a store price of $96.
This is fair for its value, but committing to three months might be too expensive for some. Thankfully, you can also subscribe to monthly payments. You can unsubscribe at any time, but only by calling customer service.
There is also a 90-day money-back guarantee. You can return the unused portion of your product within the first 90 days after your purchase.
How Does Viviscal work?
According to the website, Viviscal works in four steps through which nutrients are infused into the bloodstream and help nourish hair follicles. This encourages them to grow healthy and strong throughout the hair growth cycle.
Is Viviscal safe?
Viviscal is safe in general. However, just like with any other supplement, you should be aware of the ingredients and verify if they will potentially harm you. Always consult with your physician before starting any dietary supplement program.
Additionally, the company cannot confirm that the manufacturing site is free from cross-contamination of dairy, eggs, nuts, wheat, and gluten. Therefore, those with allergies may want to be particularly careful.
The best way to know how responsive your body is to any ingredient and how it will impact your health is to get genetic testing.
Review of Viviscal Privacy
At times, Viviscal will ask you to send promotional information to a friend (“tell-a-friend”). It might ask you for this other person’s information.
Viviscal will not sell your information to third parties but might share it with them. These include its affiliates, co-sponsors that help with contests, sweepstakes, etc., credit bureaus in the case of late payments, and whenever there is a federal law requirement. It will also share your information with third parties to market its products.
Viviscal in the News
Best supplements for hair loss: The supplement proven to promote hair growth
Viviscal™ Pledges a $100,000 Donation To The Professional Beauty Association COVID-19 Relief Fund.
Do Hair-Growth Treatments Actually Work For Stress-Related Hair Loss? This HuffPost article reviews several other hair growth treatments, including Viviscal.
In 2023, Viviscal introduced a topical hair line for women that includes a thickening shampoo, conditioner, scalp scrub, and serum.
Other Viviscal Reviews
Overall, Viviscal receives positive customer reviews because almost everyone gets results from consistent use. Customers started noticing hair growth between a few days and a few weeks.
Some users will see results within a very short time.
However, a few reviewers did not get the hair regrowth they had expected.
The reviews on the company’s website are also mixed. Some customers saw the expected growth while others claim the products do not work. Overall, individual products tend to have between 3 and 4 stars.
Hair health supplements enrich hair follicles and scalps. This promotes hair rich in length and thickness, significantly adding volume to the crown. However, supplements contain formulas made of a variety of ingredients. How well your body will respond to these ingredients can be estimated when you upload your DNA into the Nebula Genomics database.
Supplements can also be expensive. By sequencing your DNA first, you can find valuable information about whether certain supplements will be effective before spending your money.
Nebula Genomics specializes in full genome sequencing, guaranteed through our 30x Whole Genome Sequencing, which obtains results like no other test. It is a comprehensive DNA test that decodes 100% of your genome instead of just the 0.02% provided by other genome sequencing companies such as 23andMe and Ancestry.
You can also check out this report on how genes affect male baldness to better understand the importance of knowing what’s inside your DNA or this report on the genes responsible for alopecia, an autoimmune disease that causes hair loss.
More products that help promote hair health and growth are:
- Capillus (laser filled caps to stimulate hair follicles)
- HAIRLOVE (vitamin infused hair care)
- Keeps (prescription strength hair loss treatment)
- Nutrafol (supplements for hair growth and thickening)
- Rahua (plant-based hair and body products)
- Vegamour (plant-based hair care products)
- Tricovit (four-step product line for healthy hair)
Other products that can help reduce signs of aging are:
- AgelessRx (prescription anti-aging products)
- Arbonne (a catalog of aging well products)
- Curology (personalized acne treatment)
- Plexaderm (reduces wrinkles for short-term effect)
- PotentLift (variety of products for skin health and anti-aging)
- SeroVital (reduces signs of aging)
- Xtend Life (supplements, skincare, and superfoods for anti-aging)
- Zion Health (clay-based skin products)
Plus, you can also check out these supplements that claim to help you age well:
- Elysium Health (supplements designed to slow down aging)
- Neuriva (supplement to improve brain function)
- Nugenix (testosterone booster)
- Prevagen (a supplement designed to improve memory)
- Relief Factor (supplement to reduce pain)
- TeloYears (uses telomere length to assess biological age)
- Tru Niagen (supplements designed to slow down aging)
Did you find our Viviscal review helpful? You can read more reviews on our blog and our complete guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests.